Just bought the 34XBR800 !!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BillPrescott, Sep 17, 2002.

1. BillPrescott

BillPrescott Auditioning

Greetings videophiles!
    I'm a new user...only posted twice..and both times I was CONVINCED I was buying the new Mits 42311 tabletop.. but time and time again my eyes (and my heart) took me back to a 34" widescreen set (space is a major issue also) so I went with the new Sony 34"... price paid $2275.. $50 bucks for delivery.. it arrives Weds 091802 at 1100 hrs... I am SO stoked.
    A set-top box is in the near future .. as we have TONS of
    OTA hdtv in Portland.. and for the time being it's gonna be receiving an interlaced signal from my Pioneer THX-certified DV-05 (nice player.. and yes I will remember to tell it I now have a 16x9 screen...
    So.. now the point of my post [​IMG]
    Any pointers for maximum enjoyment from those of you
    who are familiar with this set??
    And I'm interested in recommendations for set-top HDTV
    tuners.. Im lucky enough to live in an area where a cheap
    RS bow-tie antenna will do the trick...
    Thanks in advance..and CHEERS!!
    Bill Prescott
    Portland Oregon

2. BillPrescott

BillPrescott Auditioning

PARDON MY TYPO!! Make that a 34 INCH!!!
    But you knew that already [​IMG]

3. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the 36 inch version of the same tv. The picture is great, the colors seem very true and it is the best black I have ever seen on a tv--black black. It seems to make a difference in adding detail when the set is set up. I used the AVIA calibration to set brightness, contrast, and sharpness. I also use it to set color and tint but then use my eyes some to adjust those two--it does seem to help.

The part that still stumps me is the adjustable digital reality creation(their line doubler). They let you choose from three modes(interlaced, progressive, and cinemotion(3:2 pulldown). I have tried and tried but I cannot see a nickel's worth of difference in them. They also let you adjust the doubler on a grid choosing high and low for "reality" and "clarity". I really wish I knew what this actually did. I can see some differences and I am able to get rid of the putty faces and artifacts most when I set those effects to lower settings.

I get a great picture with dvd, very, very good with my digital cable, and pretty good with regular cable. I am not so lucky with hdtv--my area gets NO over the air signals--I never will for most stations. Our area only gets two over the air stations--so even when they go hdtv--I won't have access to cbs, abc, or fox--only nbc and pbs. I am also out of luck with satellite--so I am at the mercy of Adelphia Cable --whom I predict will be the last to make hdtv available over their cable.

Good luck and have fun--have the delivery guys help you get it set up on the stand--IT IS VERY HEAVY. I am still debating returning mine for the 34--but most of my program habits are tied into 4:3 stuff and will be for quite some time

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Bill,
    There is a ton of info on this exact model on the AVS forum right now. Quite a few people on that forum just got this set and have been talking about it.

go to avsforum.com and to tube tv's area, you'll find several threads about this 34" sony.

5. Chris Dunlap

Chris Dunlap Auditioning

I just had the 40XBR800 version of this set delivered today!

I almost went with the 34" but in 16x9 my picture should be about the same size anyway...

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’d set the video to the Pro mode. When mine was delivered it came up in Vivid, which is Sonyese for extreme picture settings.
    This should do fine until you have a chance to play with AVID or similar. My biggest complaint is the amount of overscan. This is correctable using AVID and the service menu. Just on the off chance that you are not aware, be sure that you write down all the default, factory setting before changing anything from the service menu. After you have the initial settings, you won’t have to worry.

7. Jimmy vb

What impact does the high amount of overscan have on the picture? I don't know much about it. I have some info. on how to access the service menu settings and I feel comfortable with a few things in there--with the key for me being not to get in over my head(geometry, etc...).

How would reducing overscan improve my picture??

8. BillPrescott

BillPrescott Auditioning

Well...it arrived yesterday..10 minutes early...
    I could go on and on ... but for now I'm just going to say ....
    It's the most beautiful machine I've ever seen"
    I'm 100% thrilled. If nothing else..this set gets a 10
    just for pure flexibility... it is SO adjustable!

However... does anybody know how I can create a set of settings for my Cable TV viewing and another set for
    DVD watching?? I haven't got that dialed in yet.
    I could really use some help in figuring out how to save
    the settings for each input.

Now Im having a REAL hard time resisiting the urge to run
    out today and buy an ATSC set-top box!

Thanks in advance!!

Bill Prescott
    Portland Oregon

9. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Overscan cuts off the edges of the picture. Normal overscan is usually around 5 percent for most direct view tvs. You can reduce it by shrinking the raster via the service menu - either horizontally or vertically depending on where you have too much overscan. One has to remember though that by doing this, you may introduce convergence problems (which will not be fixable on a direct view from the service menu) and/or geometry problems. I wouldn't mess with the geometry without having an Avia (or other) test pattern up on the screen. I find the Crosshatch geometry pattern in Avia, the best to determine both overscan issues combined with geometry and convergence problems. For example, using this pattern on a cheap analog 27A32 Toshiba direct view I just purchased, I can see I have about 7 percent overscan on the left hand side. That's a tad high but I also see that there are convergence problems on that far left edge as well. It may be that the overscan was set like that to cover up the fact that there are problems on the far left of the raster. I can try to shrink it a little and/or re-center the image (I have about 6 percent on the right side and 4.5 percent on the top and bottom) but I may end up introducing more convergence/geometry problems in the process.

hope this helps,

--tom

10. Jimmy vb

Thanks for the info. on overscan. For me, I always have to weigh any improvements that would be likely against the fact that I am voiding my warranty by going in. Although the likeliehood of needing warranty service is low, it can be expensive.

I am not noticing visually any problems with the edge of my images--I even looked very closely last night on a number of programs including text based stuff. I could probably run up my AVIA test pattern and find out how far off I am--but in my case--if I can't see it in the sources--that's good enough for me.

My main and really only problem with the set is that on analog cable signals--which include all the network feeds, I still get a grainy sort of putty face at times--really soft. I have adjusted again and again to eliminate it--but it won't completely go away. I know it is a source material issue and the line doubler in the set is trying to compensate--I can make it better, but can't eliminate it. I am considering getting an iscan pro line doubler to see if it improves it--or I may just have to get used to it. Cable is the only way for me to get most channels in my area and forested location. Is there a service adjustment that would help reduce some of the graininess? I have svm turned to off(and have tried it at all settings), have adjusted using the AVIA standard consumer specs(with some visual help to adjust the color settings), am in the pro mode, usually use cinemotion or progressive, and have the drc turned to near 0 for both "reality" and "clarity"(through trial and error).

Bottom line:

It is as though I need to "focus" the tv on some of the analog channels. Will the iscan line doubler help this or is there a service menu adjustment that can address this OR, is that just the state of the world. Boy it would be nice to completely defeat the line doubler on some channels and get a plain old analog signal--scan lines and all.

11. Jimmy vb

I'll also add about this set that in addition to the dead on black--the colors are sweet--among the best I've ever seen in a set like this. I originally got a 55 inch rptv mitsubishi(had a mitsu 52 inch for 15 years before this) but took it back because my cable looked so bad and it was just a bit too big for my wife(she married the old 52 inch tv--she wanted something smaller). I loved the mitsu on dvd and it looked really filmlike--but the color accuracy and level of detail were not as good-perhaps a calibration would have helped--but that is in the past.

I used to do stage lighting design and I'm really picky about colors-this is the first set I've had that they actually impress me.

12. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jimmy, I've never owned a Sony set so I can't comment on specifics but in general, complaints about analog cable looking bad on HDTV-ready sets is not an uncommon one. There may be nothing you can do about the graininess. It may simply be that the source signal doesn't contain that much useful data - i.e. what used to be called in the old days 'snow' Showing such channels on a bigger and higher resolution display is going to highlight the defects in the picture unfortunately - and no matter how good the line doubler is, it can't recreate the source material if it's not there to begin with.

cheers,

--tom

13. Jimmy vb

I think you are right in that it is just how it is with crappy analog signals. On the same size non hd tv Sony Wega the problem is not there. Sure you get the scan lines if you are too close, but the images are sharper and there is more detail and no artifacts. This is only noticeable on some channels with some sorts of programming--like sports or fast action. Since this is a very common issue, it seems like some manufacturer would try to address it by offering a defeatable line doubler--so that the signal could go through straight without upconversion or processing. You wouldn't want to use it on every channel--but boy you would love it watching the nfl on an overcompressed microwave fox affiliate. I am talking out of my hat here though, it may be technically difficult or prohibitively expensive to do this. I am nearly certain it couldn't be done after market. Getting two tvs isn't really an option--I caught enough flak buying a new hd ready tv when we don't have any hope of receiving much in the way of over the air hd(no cbs, fox, or abc EVER) and Adelphia will drag their feet as long as they can.

14. Dennis XYZ

Dennis XYZ Stunt Coordinator