Just bought Sony KP57WS510

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChrisYK, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

to be delivered on 1/27.
    I was able to make an informed decision based on everything that I have been reading for the past couple weeks or so on these forums.
    I'm glad I ran into the site before heading out to the stores. I was pretty intimidated by all the current offerings and wasn't even up to speed on all the current technology.
    I realize that the Sony I bought is an "entry-level" RPTV, but I just couldn't pass up the "bang for the buck" factor after haggling with my local Best Buy.
    I will post my impressions once I get everything set up and running.

Any suggestions in terms of TV set-up/calibration would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Chris,

Immediately set contrast (called "Picture" on Sonys in the user setup menu) to less than 50% in all picture modes--vivid, standard, movie, and pro. Also turn sharpness to about 30-50% depending on source. HD and dvd will tolerate higher sharpness settings than analog cable.

You should obtain a copy of the AVIA or Video Essentials calibration dvds and adjust the picture controls after the set's been warmed up for half an hour or so. Never use the auto-focus feature unless the set's been on for at least an hour.

The various picture modes have different levels of "picture enhancement" features that aren't adjustable in the user menu. Vivid has the most, Pro the least. So the same calibration done in each mode will not look the same. I use Movie and Pro almost exclusively.

Sonys are quite good out of the box with just an AVIA or VE calibration and change minimally during break in, but you may want to repeat your calibration a few times in the first couple of months.

3. ChrisYK

Steve,

Thanks for the tips...
    Where can I get the Avia calibration DVD for a reasonable price?

I'm pretty excited about the TV though I won't be switching to an HD signal until I move in June. I'm kind of bracing myself for a "worse" picture in terms of my analog cable feed as compared to what I get on my current 27" JVC. Bearing in mind that it's the source more than anything else, any suggestions on how to improve the picture with analog cable for now? I'm hoping to be able to watch the Super Bowl without being too annoyed by the PQ.

4. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

Dang Chris you beat me.....I just got the exact same TV but mine will not be here until Wed the 28th. I will be looking forward to hearing your initial reaction once you get yours. The calibration info was very helpful also thanks Steve. I got a great deal on mine down at Sears. They had a promotion they were running and I was able to get the TV for 2099.00 plus tax which made it about 2300.00 minus the warranty. I will let you know how the HD looks because I hope to have mine up and running in HD for the Super Bowl. Keep us informed Chris and I will try and do the same.

DF

5. ChrisYK

Since the KP57WS510 does not "remember" setting changes for the different modes, will any change I make be universal to all the different modes?

Thanks again!

PS I'm bummed because I just found out I will be on-call at the hospital on 2/1. No Super Bowl for me... will have to try to catch glimpses in between seeing patients.