Just bought power amp...what should I be listening for?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert_Z, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I have read a lot of posts from folks claiming to hear great improvement after adding an external amp to their receiver. I just added a Carver AV 705 to my Denon AVR 3802.

I assumed the difference would be night and day. Not so. For HT, I cannot detect much of a difference. Two-channel music, however, is definitely much better. Shouldn't I be in HT Shangri-la with this new power amp?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Depends on your definition of nirvana. A more robust power amp will offer the system greater dynamics and will be less strained during demanding soundtrack passages. Beyond that, one treads into the unsubstantiated claims of subjectivists.

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I know how you feel Robert . I added an Outlaw 750 to my Onkyo 676 receiver and was a bit underwhelmed by the differences . I too was expecting night and day , massive increase in detail, clarity etc. what I actually got was an unlimited amount of headroom , which I did not need as I could already do reference level in my small 12x18 living room/theater. The Outlaw is a fine amp but I simply did not need it . To satisfy my upgrade urge I settled on a new receiver , Harmon Kardon. If you don't feel the amps in the Carver are a significant improvement in those in your already fine Denon receiver, then my advise to you would be to sell it. You should have no trouble as someone like us is always looking to upgrade.[​IMG]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This objective thread into a subjective area is rather refreshing.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It would have been an objective thread if he had heard no difference between the amps either in HT or two channel music within the limits of the amps. Since he DID hear noticiable difference in two channel stereo and since that is what every subjectivist claims is where you hear the most difference that is in two channel listening. So I still think its more subjective than objective. I too agree that for HT almost all amps with sound the same unless they are stressed beyong their linear regime. For two channel listening however each amp has its own sound and on familiar recordings you can hear the difference.

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

My personal experiences are limited but I have done an enormous amount of reading on every forum I could find and I HAVE upgraded to separate amps. Just about everything I have read has indicated that you will hear the most difference in 2-channel listening and that in home theater the differences will be much more subtle, if not indistiguishable, of course this is depending on what you are upgrading from in the first place and your listening habits. You're going from a Denon that is pretty respectable to begin with and you have only gone from 110wpc to 125wpc which is a very tiny difference. I don't think you can expect much of a difference with that kind of upgrade. You don't mention what speakers you have.
    I noticed a pretty good difference in my 2-channel lsitening (which was my only real goal)but i went from 100wpc to 200wpc.
    I also happened to get a noticeable difference in home theater also because of the large increase in power , and because my rear speakers can handle 250wpc and I was driving them with a supposedly 100wpc but more likely much less with all channels being driven.

7. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Separates for HT is a waste if you have a good receiver. 2-channel on the other hand.............

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Most of the difference that you hear in HT is related to the dynamic extremes that most receiver amps will compress and the separate amps will be OK with. Within reasonable limits of the amps it would be hard to hear any differences between separate and receiver amps. I am more into 2 ch music so for me separate amps rule.

9. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

You are really not going to notice a much better amplifier until you to much better speakers. Buying a $3000 amp for a pair of $500 speakers is not going to make a difference. I'm telling you right now, the difference my Moon made from the Marantz receiver was like unimaginable. The sound is beautiful on my 27yr old ESS speakers. The new Totem Forests I got coming in would NEVER get along well with that Marantz.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

11. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Hehe Chu, I've tried. Totems need some juice [​IMG]

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I've heard nice things about them. Best of luck with the purchase.

13. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Dr. Phil couldn't do squat about my stereo's relationships. I have to fix them myself. [​IMG]

14. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

15. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

16. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

17. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

18. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer