What's new

Just bought "Poseidon Adventure", Should I return it? (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
My reasons for poo-pooing the French stems from personal experience, having been an exchange student in Paris during high school, not the political "they didn't aid us during the war". Besides, since I started this thread, I think I'm a little entitled, and it is a valid plot point after all.;) (I did add a smiley in my above post to help denote sarcasm/wry humor, though. Hope that helps.)

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

The Poseidon Adventure played in 70mm and 6-track stereophonic sound in at least three U.S. theatres (National, NY, Egyptian, L.A., and Alexandria, S.F. There were probably others, as well.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Darn good-lookin' picture for a non-Anamorphic transfer (Region 1 release). :) (IMO.)

"HOW MANY MORE LIVES!!! ... TAKE ME!!"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Darn good-lookin' picture for a non-Anamorphic transfer (Region 1 release).
Agreed. I reviewed it not that long ago, and it lost points with me mostly due to the lack of anamorphic enhancement - a 16X9 transfer would have tightened up the image. It got a "B" as it was, and I imagine it might have gotten to "A" territory if it'd been anamorphic...

Derek_McL

Second Unit
The Poseidon Adventure is available pretty cheap here in the UK from what I've read in this thread I may well pick it up.

As for poor transfers : there are a few classic films I could mention : I second Mike's nomination of Fort Apache which is pretty bad but as of now its all we have.

A few others mostly in the public domain (probably unlikely to be restored):

The Cabinet of Dr Calligari (1919) I seem to have a poor quality edited version of this weird film,might upgrade to a proper version one of these days.

The Lodger (1926) When will DVD producers stop using the same mediocre 16mm print ?

A Farewell To Arms (1932) The version I have might just be passable.

Nothing Sacred (1937)The colour is blurry, image goes in and out of focus but this is still one of the best screwball comedies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks