Just bought Paradigm Mini Monitors--One word-"Wow"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Well, I finally broke down and spent money on a good pair of speakers. I went to a local dealer and spent $300 on a new pair of mini monitors. They sound incredible! There are sounds in songs that I've never heard before. The soundstage is great. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that if you're thinking about buying these speakers I would definately recommend it!

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

how long have you been listening to them? i need more than a week for my paradigm cinemas to break in.

3. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

Congrats! I have had the Mini monitors for about half a year so far and I love em! They sound great for movies. The CC-370 center channel is a nice match. Now I just need to save up a little more for my PW-2200 and ADP-370 surrounds!

Daniel

4. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Would it not be a good idea to go for the CC270 or 170 for these?

I was told that the CC370 may be a bit too much for the mini monitors or even the monitor 5's or 7's. I am not sure if that guy at the store knew what he was talking about, but it did make me wonder.

I know I may be buying these for rears but debating whether to go for the minis all around.

These speakers are lovely sounding.

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

CC370 is the match for the Mini Monitors unless Paradigm has changed its packages. With the CC370 you will be timbre matched and have the same crossover. As far as surrounds I'd go with the Mini's for rears. Just my opinion. I've been using the CC-350 with my Mini's for the last year. The get better evertime I change my hardware. Currently running a Marantz AV560U/Rotel RMB-1066 amp.

Kevin

6. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

Eventually, I want to use the mini monitors for 6.1 rear surrounds and run Monitor 7's or 9's for the fronts. I like to buy for the future. [​IMG]
    The CC-370 does look kinda extreme sitting on the 24" Sony Wega [​IMG]
    ( Im also saving for a Pioneer 53" non-elite )
    Daniel

7. Jim Zanbehr

Jim Zanbehr Agent

I just got Paradigm Mini Monitors for my new main fronts a couple weeks ago for my new Yamaha RX-V2200 along with the CC-170 Center which is more than satisfactory for my 20" TV. Anything bigger on top of my TV would appear ludicrous. [​IMG] And they sound terrific!
    The Paradigm brochure suggests pairing the Mini Monitors with a CC-370 or the CC-170. They are both timbre matched according to their literature. It's whichever works best for your set up.
    I'm still undecided about what to use for rears, I'm temporarily using my quite old over-size "bookshelf" speakers.

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I had Mini Monitors paired with a CC 170 and I thought it sounded pretty darn good.

My Minis now reside in the rear and Studios are up front, but I'm thinking of moving the Minis to my bedroom. They are a great sounding speaker.

Congratulations!

9. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but isn't Paradigm going to revamp their Monitor line in the near future?
    They could improve tweeters, reset crossovers, [​IMG]cheapen materials, or any other such thing. I mean I'm expecting some big changes b/c they got rid of their Active line. I know it's not completley logical, but I'm expecting big steps forward from them.

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

11. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul

12. Mike Hodgkinson

Mike Hodgkinson Auditioning

Good choice..Since I live north of the border the pricing here for Paradigm is a little better. A suggestion for anyone who lives close to Canadian border..come on up and buy here..I recently purchased a Denon 1602,pair of mini monitors,pair of atoms,cc-370 and ps-1000 for $1859 Cdn which works out to approx $1150 U.S. That's before pst/gst taxes but U.S. citizen would be able to get those 2 taxes back. I guess the deal here is that I probably paid a little more for the 1602 then in U.S. but speaker prices are good!

I had to work a little bit to get price down but wasn't that difficult and I think I got a pretty good deal. Not sure what speakers actually cost but Denon 1602 was selling for $649 Cdn....All of speakers are "A" stock,not blems. So once again if you live reasonably close to the border it would be worthwhile to call a dealer in Canada to see what kind of a price you could get.

13. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mike,

You got yourself one helluva a deal. When I bought my Paradigms the breakdown was:

Mini Monitors: $330pr(x2)

CC-350: $326

PS-1000: $550

What was your breakdown?

Kevin

14. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I just thought I'd chime in here. I'm not close to canada, but that doesnt disclude us midwesterners from getting good deals too. Due to the fact that I already had the Monitor 7 v.1s I was actually looking for v.1 mini monitors right as the v.2s were coming out. I got two pairs of the v.1 minis for $229 each pair b/c the dealer was affraid he wouldnt be able to move them once people started their setup with v.2 series (i.e. no-one would want v.1 minis to use as surrounds for v.2 mains and cc) I keep hoping I'll see some kind of deal like that on some studio 20s or 40s. The thing is, with all the upgrades I've done, I've never had to try to sell my speakers. My dealer has always had a 1 yr full value trade-in policy as long as you spend 150% of what the trade-in value is. I think many paradigm dealers do this.

15. Mike Hodgkinson

Mike Hodgkinson Auditioning

Kevin

I don't know what the breakdown was. Bought system as a package. Here are prices I was given before "dealing".

Denon avr 1602 649.00

Mini-monitors 439.00 pr

Atoms 239.00 pr

cc-370 389.00

ps-1000 649.00

If this helps...great..I dealt with a real great salesman at a good store..Where I live it is a standing joke that "nobody pays retail".

Mike