What's new

Just bought nsp1/sa-wm40 combo. Need big help. (1 Viewer)

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure where to start. I purchased a sony 12" sa-wm40 sub along with the jbl nsp1 speaker package. All of this is hooked up to my onkyo 575x receiver.
I hooked it up last night (except for the rears) and I am not impressed. I have read numerous reveiws on the nsp1's and the overall concensus is that they are really good.
1. Where do I set the knobs on the sub? I'm at work now so I can 't recall what the labels are.
2. Why is is that when I had my cheaper KLH bookshelfs hooked up I only needed to put the volume on 35 for normal tv shows, etc? Now with the n24's I have to turn it up to almost 50 before I can get the same volume of sound.
3. This is in a relatively large size room. I don't seem to get alot of midrange/bass sound. just highs and lows. I do have my n24's set to small. WOuld it hurt if I set them to large? Would that allow more midrange/bass to come through? Or does it fall back to the sub not being configured properly?
4. Any other tips on how to improve the sound of this setup? I feel like I may have just wasted alot of money. Don't get me wrong, the n24's are alot more "detailed" than the klh's but I honestly think the klh's had a better range of volume.
Thanks for any help.
Dennis

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
1. Where do I set the knobs on the sub? I'm at work now so I can 't recall what the labels are.
I'm not sure which crossover point your receiver is set at by default. 80 Hz? If you were to set your sub up using one of the DVD calibration discs, they would recommend that you set the crossover knob on the back of the sub to the highest setting (e.g. 150 Hz). Set the level control on the back of the sub to the "1" o'clock position for now and control the fine adjustments to the sub level through your receiver.

I can sense some frustration in your post regarding your purchase and it not being quite as good as you expected. However, you need to take the time to properly calibrate the new speakers with your receiver. To perform the calibration, you'll need a sound level meter (Radio Shack sells an analog one for about $40 and lots of people have found this device very useful). Also, you'll need a calibration disc. Best Buy sells the Sound and Vision video / audio calibration DVD at their stores for $17.99. This disc, combined with the sound meter, will walk you through the proper calibration steps for your set up.

Finally, you have to remember that all your speakers are new and were recently just pulled out of the box and connected. Speakers require a "break in" period before they really start to optimally perform. Some break-in periods could require 100 or 200 hours of play time before the speakers start to get into the right groove.

Good luck!! I think with a few proper adjustments and a little speaker break-in, you'll be quite happy with your new purchase.

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy sells the Sound and Vision video / audio calibration DVD at their stores for $17.99.
Is this the exact name for it? I'll go get one I just don't want the unhelpful staff to give me something else.
Thanks for all of your help.
Also, the connectors on the back of the n24's and ncenter are kinda hard to screw the wires into. Isn't there some kind of plug that the speaker wire goes into and that plug just plugs into the back of the speaker/receiver?
What are they called so I can get some from radio shack?
Anyone else with additional input?
Dennis

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

I calibrated with the Sound and Vision disc and the Analog SPL meter.

Good for beginner!

Steve

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I calibrated with the Sound and Vision disc and the Analog SPL meter
Thanks for the help. I'll probably go b uy one and see what I can do with it. I'm sure it comes w/instructions but is this something that plugs into something or you just hold it in your hand while you sit at the center of the speakers? Sorry for the dumb quesitons.
dennis

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

I used the meter attached to a standard camera tripod(it is threaded).

That enabled me to put it exactly were i sit, and keep my hands free.

The sound and vision disc will actually explain how to do this.

Each chapter has a tutorial at the beginning.

Steve

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Isn't there some kind of plug that the speaker wire goes into and that plug just plugs into the back of the speaker/receiver?
What are they called so I can get some from radio shack?
They are called "Gold-Plated Banana Plug" ...

available @ Radio Shack Cat.#: 278-306 / $5.99 Reg. Price. DESC: Accepts heavy-duty 12 gauge speaker cable. Screw-type, two-piece construction. Easy-grip sleeves. Pack of 2.
Adding to Wayne Ernst & Steve WC comments, ... Calibration is the Key to seamless surround HT sound, ... so read over my webpage CALIBRATION TECHNIQUES - using Video Essentials DVD. You will use a similar process except the S&V recommended playback SPL = 85 dB vs. Video Essentials 75 dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level).
For sub calibration, read over my VE Calibration Settings webpage, scroll down to read my process to REF Calibrate my Sub using my Yamaha controls.
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Hope this helps,
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread