What's new

just bought new set up and it is not working correctly (1 Viewer)

Patrick Z

Agent
operator error ?

at work, the employee's pitched in and bought a surround system

i bought a panasonic SA-XR25 digital receiver

6-sony surround speakers

4-10" powered subs

and the wires to connect the new items to the older items we already owned

50" 4;3 projection tv

jvc xv-444 dvd player ( no 6 ch. outs )

play station

and cable tv box

here is the problem

i bought enough 75 ohm rca style cables

to connect the dvd player by component cables into the receiver and then out to the tv.

when i connected them and assigned the receiver to all the different connections. none would produce a picture on the tv.

just vertical red lines racing across

i then tried assigning the jvc to any output features to see if it might have a specific setting for the component outs. still no picture.

then i removed the 75 ohm cables and tried typical cheap rca style cables, and still no picture through the component video jacks.

so i removed them and went through s-video and got picture.

but i wanted the component (best picture) possible

why is this not working?
wrong cable impedance or type ?

http://www.avdeals.com/hometheatcomp/saxr25.htm

http://www.epinions.com/content_131304164996

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Go straight from the DVD player to the TV. This will at least tell you that things are working.

I also suggest you NOT run component video through the reciever. It's just extra cableing and more work to switch.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the TV is not hi-def, almost certainly it does not accept progressive scan component video. You can still use component video from the DVD player, you need to manually switch the DVD player to interlaced if there is a button on the player remote or a switch in back of the player for this.

Also almost certainly you can plug only one source device into each bank (or group of jacks or input cluster) behind the TV even though some jacks in the bank may still be empty.

If the Playstation does not have interlaced component output and the TV does not have VGA in, you will have to use S-video.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Patrick Z

Agent
i went s-video straight from dvd to tv with great picture quality.

i just wanted everything to work at work with many using the remote and easily switching through the inputs by a simple button.

it did not work this way.

also. the tv has very low surround sound volume compared to the dvd player which sounds great.

do i need a line driver or signal booster, to get equal volume from the cable box/tv vs. the dvd player.

i hate having to turn the volume way up on the tv and receiver, just to hear it.

what else can be done to get the volume corrected >?

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
You shouldn't have to turn the volume up on the TV. I would not recommend using your TV speakers in combination with the external speakers.

I would connect the audio directly from the cable box to the receiver.

Patrick Z

Agent
the speakers are not on.
it has a variable/fixed output switch for the output into the receiver, so i switched it to variable out aswell as fixed, and the output is very low either way.

i will try box into receiver and let you know.

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks