What's new

Just bought new reciever, Need speakers. (1 Viewer)

Jason Bosch

Agent
Hey everyone. I just upgraded recievers from a cheap RCA HTIB to a Harmon Kardan AVR-525. Problem is I didn't have enough money at the moment to also purchase any kind of good speakers, so I'm using the cheap o speakers the RCA came with. Must say it sounds decent though. Those speakers never sounded so good. My sub is unpowered so I can't hook it into the 525. The reason I did this upgrade is because the RCA quit working and I have so many inputs I can't just plug em all in my TV. I was already planning on putting together a decent Home Theater. Just wasn't planning on going in this order. First I wanted a projector, the I was going to go with the sound. Oh well anyways lol. I wanted to get some opinions on some nice speakers that will do this reciever justice and match well. I don't have an unlimted budget and I am trying put my theater together as quickly as possible. I'm considering either purchasing a matched sub/sat system. Or if I think there is reason enough to... I may buy some floor standers and piece it together from there. Right now I'm looking into getting either the Mirage OmniSat or OmniSatMicro systems. To me they sound great but I've only heard them in the demo room at Tweeter. I've also looked into alot of Polks and to my ears they sound overpriced I couldn't see any reason to choose them over some cheaper systems I've heard. Any opinions on the Mirages? Any other sub/sat systems around 1000-1500 that you guys would recommend? For floor standers i love Vienna Bachs, but they are spendy and it would take me awhile to save up enough to get them. I've heard Pardigram and wasn't impressed. Same with Inifinity. However these opinions stem from demos, so in home it could be a different story. I've used to own Energy EX:15's I think and they were fantastic. I wish I could find a used set of those. Anyways I listen to movies mostly and some music.... around 80%-20%. I like a nice laid back and warm sound if I had to say I liked anything... ala Vienna's. I guess I like the Mirages because I also like that indirect non boxy sound. They just fill up the whole room with sound. Anyways I just would love to hear some other opinions and see what other people are running off this reciever. So any help will be most welcome. Thanks in advance everyone.

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have much experience with the Omnisats, but I've been a huge fan of Mirage since I bought my OM-10's a couple years ago. I now run an entirely Mirage 5.1 speakers system. Everything is from their OM line.Mirage makes a very good speaker for the price. The only thing I would add is that you may want to look into getting a pair of Omni 50's or 60's at least for the fronts. They're sort of the next step up from the Omnisats. They'll run just a bit more, but as bookshelves, they should still be very reasonably priced. I think you may find that their performance is worth the extra cost.

My own opinion is to go all out on each piece of a system even if it means waiting a while before the system is complete. Putting the "as fast as possible" condition on your system of course seriously effects that. You mention maybe being interested in towers. If you're even a little unsure about what direction you want to head, you might want to at least audition the Omni towers (I forget their models, 250 and 260 run in my mind) or even a pair of OM-9's. These are not cheap speakers though! I'll just warn you that once you've heard some of Mirage's higher offerings, you may not want to settle for less. I worked a lot of overtime for a while to be able to afford my OM-10's. :)

Another thing to consider is your room size. Most of those little rooms at Tweeter and the like tend to be pretty small so a small sat system will sound very powerful and adequate. If your room at home is much larger, you may have some issues getting the same results. In all fairness though, if you felt the output of your HTIB was sufficient, the Omnisats should have no problems.

Reguardless though, you won't go wrong with the Mirages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks