Just bought Mitsu HDTV, what to do first?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Je-P, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

Got my 55" beast delivered today. It's the WS-55313. First thing I did was run the Sound and Vision disc and calibrate the system. Then ran a few discs (Panasonic RP-82 w/Monster THX Component Cables) and while it looked good, I couldn't notice THAT huge of a difference over my old Sony 46" non-HD w/S-Video. I'm assuming that when after the break-in period, it'll look a little improved? Also my boss was telling me something about doing the red/blue convergence tests. How would I do that? I didn't see any tests for these on the S&V disc. And would the convergence tests improve the picture that dramatically?

2. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I would definately converge the set if you have not already done so. I have the Mitsu WS-65909, so I'm not sure if the menu on mine, is the same as yours. Just read the manual, it explains how to converge in good detail. You will be happy with the results if it's out of whack - and I'm sure it probably is. Colors will be truer and picture will be sharper. You also need to keep in mind that you should converge the set for each mode (ie. NTSC and HDTV).

I assume your DVD player is outputting progressive scan? If it is, you should notice a pretty nice improvement over your last set. You may want to try a bit higher quality component cables and see if that makes a bigger difference. Just make sure they have a return policy if that doesn't help.

As far as break-in, I didn't notice any difference on mine since the day I had it delivered and calibrated 'til now (9 mos. later). But, it looked great when brand new.

I think you made a wise purchase decision. I am so happy with mine. There really aren't any weaknesses at all with the Mitsu. Enjoy!

3. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

I don't know if the Sound and Vision disc has a color decoder check, but if it does, check for red push that is pretty standard with all Mits (you can check it with Avia). There are ways to both reduce the red push that I can't go into here, as well as other websites that have a wealth of information on tweaking the Mits.

After a few months when it's broken in, you might also consider getting a professional calibration.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Mike,

The new mits sets have user-menu complete color decoder control. Simply awesome. Its like the x11 sets but is also on 480p and 1080i as well.

5. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

I read the manual and it says to make sure that the + line up to be white lines. And the default setting did that. It brought up an advanced setup where the whole screen was split up into boxes and I could set each individual box, but again they looked fine.