Just bought Memento...WHOAH!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien Montanile, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Ok I know Im a late comer with this movie. I dont know why I put off watching it but now I'm sorry I did. Having been a big fan of Bizarre and artistic films, this was right up my alley. The story was truly told in an artist nature...Backwards in one sense and forward in another. I have seen documentaries on people with short term memory disability but to incorporate it into this movie I thought was well done. I dont want to get into it too much being that A..Im sure a majority of you have seen it...and B..I dont want to ruin any of it for you.

I highly recommend this movie for those of you who are fans of plot twists and irony, ala Rod Serling stories, the Twilight Zone, and Alfred Hithcock films.

-Damien

2. Dave Zemens

Dave Zemens Auditioning

You *really* need to watch Memento a second time. I thought it was tough to follow the first time (even though I understood it was shown in reverse chronology). On the second viewing, I understood that without thinking about it and could afford to get more from the film.

Do you think there really was a "Sammy Jankis"?

3. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Your right!

This is a great film!

Buy it now folk´s..

4. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Yes, I think there was a Sammy Jankis and I think Teddy was just trying to mess with Lenny's head with his trust of his body art. His memory prior to the accident wasn't impaired (we are led to believe). Teddy caused enough doubt (since Lenny himself admitted the memory isn't reliable) but I don't think that his prior memory was THAT messed up. IMO, that is.

This is a great film. I just watched it again last night for the first time since I saw it last spring. I was happy with the DVD of it. It isn't the most deep DVD, but not as vanilla as other releases (at least it has the interview, the original story, etc.).

Phil

5. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

6. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Never had to think this hard while watching a movie. Great stuff. Suprised the hell out of me in a few spots. I mean genuine shock, which never happens to me during movies. Confusing, complicated, visually stunning, good acting. Why can't Hollywood do more like this. Oh yeah, I remember. Joe Public can't stand thought provoking movies[​IMG] .

7. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

Lenny IS Sammy Jankis.

8. Jonathan Hollander

Jonathan Hollander Auditioning

Anyone know if a special edition is in the works? This film is just begging for a director's commentary (along with DTS [​IMG] ) ...

9. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i love this movie and the only reason i don't have the dvd is because of the rumoured special edition coming out. i think i'm being silly waiting on a rumour, since this film is AMAZING.....i think i'll go pick it up tonight and try and answer some of the mysteries from my first viewing.

anyway, IS there a special edition coming out?

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The following is not intended as gospel but rather a smattering of guesses about Leonard's past.

Leonard was an insurance investigator who stumbled across a case of one who had faked short term memory loss. Leonard's voracity in proving the falsehood of the man's claims proved disastrous after he and his wife were attacked and left him with a similar, albeit real, condition. His wife, much as the portrayal of Sammy's wife in the film, put Leonard through the same psychological tests.. During this time, John Gammel (aka Teddy) was assisting in trying to find the attacker(s). Leonard's wife was diabetic and his condition resulted in her death. Lenny was committed; perhaps Teddy helped him to escape and while helping him find John G., also used Lenny for his own ends.

Therefore, Teddy is a complicated character with both

positive and negative qualities. You want to appreciate how he's stuck by Lenny but you must remember that he is a greedy, manipulative prick. Teddy has no reason to lie when he spills his guts to Lenny about the truth. Teddy is, according to my summation of his performance at the end of the film, clearly too exasperated to lie.

Lenny has a very garbled view of his own past, including his confusing the life of Sammy Jenkis with his own. It's no wonder he would doubt whether his wife was diabetic. He is, in essense, chasing himself throughout the course of the movie, chasing his own tail. It's very tragic.

That's just one point of view; I'm not intending to force it on anybody else. If anything, this makes one appreciate the movie more. Some have complained that Memento is all gimmicky structure and no character, but I think that's ridiculous. Every character in the film has conflicting motivations.

Natalie's character arc, if you follow it chronologically, is pretty astounding. She goes from a mole, to a manipulator, to a liberated survivor. You cannot hate her completely despite her cruel behavior in parts of the film.

Cheers,

Joseph

11. Jonathan Hollander

Jonathan Hollander Auditioning

Can someone please answer the above question regarding if a special edition will be coming?

12. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

I know of no SE, but I'm sure Christopher Nolan would like to do one. In fact, I remember an interview somewhere that he'd like to do one. The movie definitely deserves one. I'm holding off buying it, just in case.

By the way, did anybody catch this?

Lenny's wife is not really dead!! At the end of the movie, for a quick moment you can see Lenny and his wife lying in bed and he has all his tattoos (including the "I did it" one)! It's plain as day, if you look for it.

Look again and check for yourself. Am I right?

By the way, this was my favorite movie of the year.

-Mark

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

The SE? Yes it's the UK version out in about a week's time. [​IMG]
    Do a forum search. This came up. Someone claimed to have heard that such an edition was planned for late 2002.
    However, we also had rumours of a commentary on the UK version and that appears to have been false so who knows.

14. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

A Criterion Version of Memento would have been marvelous, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Although kudos (and i know some disagree on this) to the disorienting menu screens. Really fits in with the tone of the movie. Although that really piercing Teddy scream
    every time you switch screens gets irritating!after a while.

Joseph

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Memento is the only movie I've seen that ends in the middle of the story. That's a feat in itself imo. Joseph I like your hypothesis. Never thought of Lenny escaping from a mental institute but it does make a great deal of sense.
    You guys should read the Salon article if you want to know more about the flick and many more possible scenarios.
    http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feat...sis/index.html
    mark- Here's what Salon says about his wife being in bed with his tattoos still on:

16. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

There are lots of interesting things that happen in this movie that you can only see while watching in slow motion.

When in the mental hospital Sammy turns into Lenny after a nurse walkby. This to me shows that Sammy is not real and is only a way for Lenny to deal with his memory loss. One thing that never made sense to me was how can Lenny REMEMBER he has memory loss????

17. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that too. I guess it's just one of those moments in films that require a suspension of disbelief for the story to work. Otherwise, the movie would just be Lenny saying "What the hell?!" every 5 minutes.

18. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Leonard remembers he has memory loss because of the Sammy Jenkis tattoo. Sammy Jankis was a real person who faked a memory loss. Leonard transposed his story to his own as a way of coping with the guilt of what he had done to his wife. Since Sammy happened before the incident, he remembers Sammy's condition thus, remembers his own. Obviously this explanation doesn't quite work always for the movie since he wakes up and is already acting like he has no memory.

19. Cliff B

Cliff B Agent

Sorry to be disagreeable guys, but I really thought this movie was absolute crud. I'm all for thought-provoking movies but, c'mon, it it would be nice if it made some kind of sense.
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

20. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I liked Memento but I can't honestly bring myself to buy it, oh well. Perhaps if a special Edition comes out....

The movie was good though. I enjoyed it.