What's new

Just bought JURASSIC PARK III - What's up with the sound? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
For the first time on any DVD I experience consistant drop-outs in the sound of this title. As soon as something loud occurs, the sound from all six speakers drops measurably for a few seconds. I've done all the trouble-shooting. Anyone else experience this? Thanks for any info.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
What sort of amp do you have? A Denon or Onkyo? Both have known problems with this disc's Dolby Digital soundtrack.

Adam

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A Sony, actually. Have persons owning the brands you name had problems ONLY with JPIII as I have?

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
I too have Sony receiver and have no problem with JPIII. Are you having problems with the DD or DTS track? (just curious)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Same here: Sony and no problems. In fact, I use the T-Rex vs. Spinosaurus fight as one of my reference scenes to show off! :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hmmm. This is a DD playback, not DTS. I'm stumped. Sounds compressed - you know, like radio station braodcasts that keep the volume within a certain range, except with noticable dropouts. Makes me lean forward involuntarily at regular intervals.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
If it sounds like volume is diminished, is the dynamic range compression on on the receiver? A sony my friend has has it on by accident and Dolby tracks sounded muffled a lot.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have a Sony receiver with no dropouts. Are you using a digital coaxial or digital optical for the audio bitstream? I have both connected and I was getting dropouts with the optical (not JPIII) so I switched to coaxial. I never bothered to troubleshoot the optical. Probably a dirty connection or something.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I didn't have any problems with the sound when I rented this via Netflix.
A better question, in my mind, is "What's Up With This Movie?" :thumbsdown:

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Same here. I have Ongkyo 676 receiver & Pioneer 525 DVD
player and never experienced any audio drop-outs all this
while with all DVD discs.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Dick, it might make it easier to help if you listed your reciever and DVD player's brand and model.

BTW I'll bet your DVD is probably dirty with fingerprints and smudges.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Do a search, Dick. This is actually a known problem, which I believe is player related. I don't have a sound system to speak of, but I get the dropouts with my Sony DVP-S560D. Others had the same problem, but I don't think it was ever resolved. Something about a problem with certain flags.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the Jurassic Park Trilogy and watched JP3 (the only one of the three I haven't seen, so I watched it first), only to discover audio/video problems toward the end. I bought it lightly used, and there is a tiny nick toward the outer edge of the disk, but it looks far too minor to be of note.
The layer change is at 78:00, and about 20 seconds later, the picture begins pixellizing, and the audio skips and drops out intermittently. That goes on for about 90 seconds, then all is good again. It happens on both the DD and DTS soundtracks, and everything else throughout the movie is perfect.
I'm playing it on a Marantz DV-7010 DVD player and H/K Sig 2.0 preamp, neither of which has experienced such a problem before. In 6 months or so with the Marantz, I think I've only had one rental disc with any audio or video problems, and it's played some pretty scratched up ones.
Doesn't quite match the other problems reported in this thread and the other thread linked in the post just above mine, but maybe it rings a bell with someone?
By the way, the audio up to that point is awesome! I was quite shocked by the ending, though. I figured it would go another 20+ minutes...
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks