Just bought JBL S38II !!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry_D, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Terry_D

Terry_D Auditioning

I finally got Wife Approval for some speakers. I went with a JBL Studio Series setup and I think I got a great deal:
    Fronts - S-38II
    Center - S-Center
    Rears - S-36II
    Sub - PB10 (wife doesn't like too much bass)

The whole set was < $1000 including free shipping and no tax. I'm very impressed so far.

Anyway, I'd like some opinions on the best way to set up the S-38II's in the front. I don't have too much room and I'm pretty sure that I'll have to go with some stands, but these are some beefy speakers! Can anyone recommend some nice (but not too expensive) stands?

Also, are there any good wall-mounts for the S-36II's? They came with 4 key-holes for mounting, but I might want a little more control over the directionality (is that a word??).

Thanks!

Terry

2. BrianMB

BrianMB Agent

I have the same setup except I have a Yamaha YST-305 Sub. I use Sanus NF24 Speaker Stands which work well. I just use the keyhole mounts on the S36's which works fine.

3. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Click here to see what I did with my S38's. I found them at Hobby Lobby for $30 for the pair. They were buy one get one free. They do that about once a month.

4. Terry_D

Terry_D Auditioning

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking of the Sanus BF16Bs, but I wasn't sure if there was something else that I could use. According to the Sanus website, the top plate on the ones that you have Brian is 8" x 8". The one on the BF16B is only 7" x 7". Do you have them vertically or horizontally? Do you think that 7" x 7" is big enough to leave them horizontally?

Thanks again!

Terry

5. Sean Carter

Sean Carter Stunt Coordinator

Congrats.

JBL Studio series speakers are excellent speakers. A lot of times JBl gets slammed because they're sold through places like Best Buy.

Frank

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

At first when I read Kyles post I thought found S38s at hobby lobby for $30 a pair. I was gonna go nuts. heh

I took the economical approach for stands. The bookshelf speaker stand matches the footprint of the S38. I can store 50 DVDs with the adjustable shelves or just put other things in it.

For spikes I just use 4 small blocks of MDF that each stand rests on. They arn't the pickyest of speakers which is why I think they sound great on a stand that's not as high mass.

LINKIFIED

7. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Terry D:

The S38's are designed to be mounted horizontally. They will not perform as well vertically.

8. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Mount the 36's on the wall are your best bet. No need to worry about direction. It depnds on the size of your room and set up. The Sanus stands are nice and so is the product line. You studio set will sound great. Good value for the money. I agree that JBL gets slammed but the bottom line is you like the sound and thats all that matters in the end.

9. BrianMB

BrianMB Agent

I think 16" would be too short. 24" is just about ear level while seated. Remember that the speakers will be horizontal.

10. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Chris- sorry for my lack of clarity. [​IMG] I didn't mean to disappoint you. [​IMG]

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I too have just bought some S38II and hope to get them broken in soon. I've owned the S-Center for a couple of years and I must say it is exceptional. So far, the new S38 is not up to par with the well broke-in center but I do expect them to open up somewhat. After a couple of days, they still sound like they have towels over them.... dull and lifeless kinda. Being driven by a Yamaha RX-V1.

I must say, they have a lot to go since I am comparing them to some old JBL L100s that I've had for 25 years. I do know that it's quite a stretch to even come close to the L100 but I do hope they will get closer and match up with the S-Center. Right now I am using the L100s as stands for the S38 so I can A-B them easily.

Those of you who have the S38II, how long was it before you really noticed them "coming to the dance".....

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter