Just bought Definitive PF15TL+ Sub and have a few question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank James, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Frank James

Frank James Auditioning

Dec 25, 2001
    1st off, I just found this forum a few weeks ago and I think its great! Read it about everyday (the bug has bitten). And I also found out about SVS subs on this forum and I've been reading about how great they are. And can't wait till I have the room for one, but my space is limited. So I went with the PF15TL+ (which is enough for now [​IMG] )
    But I have no neahbors so volume is not a problem[​IMG]
    Ok, My room is 14x12 and my equipment is
    -27" Sony TV
    -Sony STR DE-845 reciever
    -and a PS2 as my current DVD player. (getting a real one real soon!)
    -2 VCR's Sony and Magnavox
    -Front main audiophase(10" sealed 3-way set to large)
    -Center Optimus older center channel (set to small)
    -Rears KLH (cheap) (set to small)
    -Sub Kenwood sw300 (about 3 or 4yrs old) 10" 100watt ported
    -Sub Definitive Tech PF15TL+ 15" 500watt TL
    I did have the 10" sub in the front of the room, but needed to move to the rear to make room for the 15" sub. My question is, should I use the high level inputs and outputs on the 10" sub with my rears and then set the rears to large on the reciever? Or leave the 10" connected by one of the RCA outs on the reciever (the reciever has 2 sub outs).
    Would this make the rears sound fuller? (being set to large?) for surround effects.
    I'm not looking for any more bass. The 15 is plenty and I'm very happy with it (Fast and Furious and JPIII WOW[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )
    My 2nd question, the New sub came with carpet spikes, should I take the time to put them on? what are the benifites? I do have thick carpet. And I do have alittle room resonance with the new sub, would spikes help?
    Thanks in advance,
  2. Greg Sarlo

Greg Sarlo Auditioning

Dec 26, 2000
    I've got one of those PF15TL+'s, not a bad sub 'eh? I ended up putting mine in the front/center of my system, underneath the TV. My room is just slightly bigger than yours. Don't know what to tell you about the hookup, try it all ways and stick with what sounds best!

I have Klipsch KLF30 fronts, C7 center and KSFS6 rears with a Sony 555ES reciever and the PF15TL+. My rears sound better when set to small with the fronts.

I'd try it without the 10" sub, you might have a garage sale item there...