Just bought component cables and.......

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by JayKellen, Feb 6, 2004.

1. JayKellen

JayKellen Stunt Coordinator

I am wondering what to do next. I have had my Toshiba 46 in HD projection hooked up with S-Video to my dvd, but was told to hook components to the dvd instead for really great picture. I just bought the cables, but do I unplug the S-video and not use it now, or can I have the S-video and the components hooked up at the same time??

I have been getting some pixelation on some dark colored scenes in movies and was told the components would solve the problem. I already went to all the settings on my tv and tried to get rid of the washed out pixelly colors and nothing really worked, so can someone let me know exactly what to do with my S video and component cables, I would really appreciate it.

2. KevinWEL

KevinWEL Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that to use the 3:2 pulldown on a DVD and TV it HAS to go through component cables. As far as keeping both connected I'm not sure.

(my scrap of knowledge)

Kevin

3. WallyBal

WallyBal Extra

I'd like to know that answer myself....

4. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I suppose you could keep them both connected at the same time. The end up going to two different video inputs on your TV so you can select which one to use with your remote. Progressive scan will only work through your component connection. If your Toshiba 46 has a built-in progressive scan (called CineMotion on my Sony) you could check which you prefer, the TV's or the DVD players. When you switch on the PS feature in your DVD player the one in the TV is disabled, and vice versa.

5. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

You should use the component cable to connect to the TV. If the DVD is a progressive scan player, its the only way (besides DVI) to use the feature. My DVD player (Mits DD-8040) will output both S-video and component when in interlaced mode at the same time but there isn't a real advantage unless you plan on outputting to two different displays. If your DVD player is not progressive scan, you can use the TVs internal line doubler to make it progressive by choosing "Film" in the TVs menu. Have you calibrated the set w/Avia or DVE? You should see an improvement right away after doing that. The only time I used the S-video on my DVD player was to calibrate the S-video/Composite inputs on my Toshiba RPTV. On the Toshibas, there are seperate settings for the HD (component,"colorstream") inputs and the SD (S-video,composite) inputs. Make sure you calibrate both.

6. KevinWEL

Another question following this same line...
    I have an Onkyo 601 and a Pioneer 563A DVD. I will eventually connect it to the receiver with component cables when my Tosh 51H83 RPTV comes. The "monitor out" section on the receiver only has composite and S video. I plan to use S video for both the SAT and VHS VCR signal and will assign the DVD to one of the component inputs on the Onkyo. I will then have component outs to the RPTV and the S video outs too. Will I have to choose different inputs with the TV or should it "know" which one carries the signal? Will the DVD "down convert" to the S video output of the receiver? (Hope this isn't too confusing I'm a beginner in the HT arena)
    [​IMG]

7. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

There are two component inputs and one component output with the 601. If you need the extra component input, you can switch it through the receiver. If you only have the 563A as a component source, you'd be better off going straight to the TV. The Toshiba actually has two component inputs, so you only need the 601's component switching if you have three component sources. Having it switched through the AV receiver doesn't add anything to the PQ, its more of a convenience feature. You'll also have to purchase two component cables instead of just one. I don't think the AVR will downconvert a component signal to S-video. The 601 will upconvert the composite signal to an S-video, however.

8. KevinWEL

Hey thanks Mark. That sounds like a plan. I heard it was better to go right to the TV inputs but I was afraid of geting into a lot of switching problems. I'll try that.
    Thanks again,
    Kevin
    [​IMG]