Just Bought an AVR-125, but need alittle help setting it up.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RodNoble, Nov 4, 2002.

1. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

ok so my problem is, I am running a digital cable box.. and it doesnt have S-video, so i ran an video rca cable into the in Vid 1 in, now I have an svideo cable running from the monitor out into my TV, but i have no video, I also tried the vid 1 output with the svideo and its still not working..

My goal is to have all my video sorces running through my reciver then out the Svideo cable into my tv, but its seeming like its not going to woork.. the manual is no help..
    I read this little blurb on the HK website that makes it sound like the svideo out is only for onscreen menu and its telling me to run the video source directly into the tv, and in that case, then um changing plugs each time i change the source..

here is the blurb P.S. you will probably see lots of questions like this in the near future.. thanx

"Determine which type of video input is available on your television or monitor. This may be 3-jack component video (Y/Pr/Pb) colored red, blue and green; S-Video, with five small prongs in a circular jack; or composite video, which is colored yellow and looks like the RCA-type jack. If available on your equipment, S-Video connections should be used. If your DVD player and video display device both have component video connections, you should connect the DVD player’s video output directly to the TV or monitor for best results. You should also connect the receiver’s S-Video monitor output to the TV in order to use the on-screen-display feature. Having selected which type of video connector you will use when switching through the receiver, you should use the same connector on all of your video devices to avoid problems with components being unable to convert from one type of signal to another."

2. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i believe thats it soest convert RCA to S-Video so that if you want the S-Video to work you have to hook the box with S instead of RCA i know some reciver conver it to S but i dont think the 125 does but im not sure ....

3. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

ok so what your saying is that, I need an S-video box to hook up the svideo to the TV?

I belive i tried the RCA video input into the tvaswell, I cant remember exactly because i did it last night...

I dont have a dvd player as of yet, but a buddie brought his over and we hooked it up via svideo and didnt have a problem.

4. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i meant that if you hook ur cable box up with RCA plug for video right but you have a Svid running from reciver to monitor im saying that the reciver wont convert the RCA information to Svid info it doesnt have a built in converter to turn rca into svideo but if you hook anotehr svid thing up wit will work fine ... hmm sorry im not to good with explinations hope im helping [​IMG]

5. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

yep, that totaly makes sence.. I was kinda thinking that may be the case.. Looks like i am going to be talking to the cable company tomorrow to get a box with Svideo..

6. Mark Burleson

Mark Burleson Auditioning

RodNoble, you are correct the H/K will not convert from composite to svideo. I have a AVR225 with a single svideo cable out to my TV. My problem was converting the VCR composite into an svideo. Here is an easy and cheap solution, RCA to S-video inline convertor
    This cost $5.25 and gives a nice picture on my 35 inch TV.
    What this means is I do not have to switch video input on my TV when I am switching from cable-DVD-VCR. Only switch is on the AVR225.
    My cable box outputs s-video and gives a better picture with s-video, same with the DVD player.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This seems like the obvious question, but how about just going straight to the TV? [​IMG] Unless you are short on inputs, there is no (good) reason to involve the receiver for video at all.
    S-video will always give you better color and image quality than composite, but upconverting composite to S-video will not yeild any difference, since you are still dealing with the same signal.

8. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Thanks for calling my attention to that extremely useful gadget from Parts Express! [​IMG]
    Rod, I think using that device will allow all video to be switched from the receiver to the same source. John is correct, however, in that running video directly into the Television offers the least drop in quality, but if you have several Video devices to switch from the receiver should give you a suitable picture with a good bit of convenience.
    Bill