What's new

Just bought a widescreen TV (1 Viewer)

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
I got a Mitsubishi WS65819. It's a 65" TV that's HD upgradeable. I think it looks great. I'm curious to know what your thoughts are. I'm happy with my purchase, but I'd still appreciate some feedback. I guess I'm looking for advice on upkeep and general thoughts about Mitsubishi TV's. Thanks.

-Jay

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Jay-
The first thing to do is to turn the brightness wayyyyy down on the set (manufacturers set this far too high). After you set the brightness to about 50, tune your TV to any channel (or pop in a DVD for about an hour and let it warm up.
You can get the best picture out of your TV by using a calibration disc like Video Essentials or Avia; these have step by step instructions for setting your TV for the correct color/sharpness/brightness/contrast as well as more advanced settings.
Both discs should be available at your local Best Buy/Circuit City.
If I'm treading over old ground, sorry; Mitsu TVs are great, and the brightness adjustment is the best bet for keeping your TV in good working order for a long time to come.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Also, turn the contrast way down too. Mits come in "torch" mode so the brightness and contrast need to be adjusted. Using Avia a few times will really help make it look better.
I've owned a Mits WS55807 for about 8 mo. now and I absolutly love it. DVD's look incredible, and HD programming is simply stunning! I suggest that you visit
The HomeTheater Spot to really get some knowledge of how nice it can look.
After some calibration and maybe a few minor tweaks, you can have one of the best looking sets out there!!
Matt

Bruce Denman

Auditioning
I will chime in with Matt; love my 55807 which we got last March. Ovation's AVIA will definitely help you set your display for a better and safer picture. Until then, turn down your brightness and contrast to below 50%; lower the sharpness too and enjoy.

A suggestion: as with ANY RPTV, minimize watching stations with bright high contast and static bugs (logos) or static banners due to the pontential burn-in of those images Direct-view sets are also vulnerable; I know of a station with the NG bug burned into a d-v Sony. I personally avoid National Geographic, The History Channel, MSNBC and their ilk.

I also agree the Spot has lots of tips and tweaks for your Mits (for other readers there are also forums for other brands too).

Bruce

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I will search for the Avia disc tomorrow. DVD's look fabulous on the new TV. I appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks