Just bought a Toshiba 51H83 today

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ray_T, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Ray_T

Ray_T Auditioning

Took advantage of Best Buys 24 month no interest financing plus free leather chair deal. (not to mention I got them to knock $150 of the price of the set)

Don't know if any of you guys are currently looking for a new TV, but the Best Buy financing deal is pretty good. Only bad thing is that it ends Saturday, the 27th, so take advantage of it while you still can!! (make sure to haggle with them on prices too.)

2. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

congrats!! good choice [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll be able to let you know how this baby looks well callibrated some time next week! [​IMG]

3. Jamie_R

Jamie_R Auditioning

Could someone provide me with good video settings (Brightness, Contrast, etc.) for the 51H83? I just got mine days ago and am working through the Avia disc. I am just wondering what numbers some other people are using.

4. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

Difficult to compare with others since the room enviornment and viewing lighting is different for everyone.

5. Jamie_R

Jamie_R Auditioning

Yeah, I understand that what works for one may not be ideal for others. I am just wondering the range some people may be in... how high do pople generally feel is too high for Brightness and Contrast? I want to make sure I avoid doing any damage to the set.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Start in "Movie" mode and turn down from there. Sharpness should be way down around 10. Contrast around 40. Brightness 45-50. Leave tint and color alone and get a calibration disk as soon as you can. You really cannot set to "general recommendations" and be safe, you need a calibration disk.

7. favian

favian Auditioning

Not sure who is doing the calibrating on your set, I just picked up my Toshiba 57hx83 a week ago. I calle Toshiba and found out that the calibration is covered under warranty.
    Not sure if Best Buy had told you this.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Do a rough-in calibration by eye or with Avia/VE or a THX Optimizer equipped DVD.

Dont try and copy anybody's elses settings - they are not standardized (perfect white/red balance on 2 identical sets would have different numbers on the menus).

After you have let the unit settle in for ~100 hours of use, Do a more serious calibration or consider hiring a ISF Calibrationist. If you try and get a service guy - he wont do much more than brightness/contrast adjustment by eye.

A calibrationist will spend 2-4 hours going back and forth among the settings, doing a convergence/focus adjustment and use a colormeter to set the various colors to industry-standards. (Thats what Calibration really means - meeting some standard).