What's new

Just bought a SVS CS Ultra and hooked it up to a old Techniques receiver - result (1 Viewer)

Lee Whitney

Auditioning
As I'm trying to build a high quality HT, I unfortuntately have to do it a piece at a time.
Finally bit the bullet on a single CS Ultra, but don't have the money for a decent amplifier yet.
Since I couldn't wait to hear in some way, I was reduced to hooking it up to a single channel of a 8 year old Techniques Pro-Logic receiver.
I hooked the subwoofer output from my main Denon Receiver to the L-Channel CD input of the Techniques receiver, and set its volume at 75%.
My presumption was it would sound completely unimpressive.
The benchmark for comparison were the Dual KLH Powered 10" Subwoofers I had in place before (only $99 each at cosco :) Supposedly each KLH is self powered at 150w.
Finished the setup and slapped in the Matrix fighting scene where Morpheus breaks the floor.
It sounded awesome! My god what an improvement. Subjectively it seemed about as loud as the two KLH woofs, but with an entirely new huge bottom end that didn't exist before. It went from a loud that you didn't want any louder to a smooth, clean, subtle ground shaking that you feel all over your body.
So does this mean Techniques receivers will make all subs sound like this? :)
Btw, I have quite a big room, with family, kitchen, and living all in one flowing space.
People really want *two* of these subs with 500 watts per channel? Would like to hear that.
Go get an Ultra.
Lee

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Lee:
It was definitely the Technics that did it for you.... Those Techniques Pro-Logic receivers are noted for going down to 10hz or so, flat!
:)
have fun with the ultra!
dave

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
congrats on your purchase. I can't wait until I order mine.
biggrin.gif

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
good to hear it's all working out for you Lee.
Remember, an honest 100-120w or so can do wonders in a high efficiency design :)
Think of it like this...
If 500w is max output, 250 is max -3dB and 125 would be X-6dB.
So you're at about maximum CS_U performance...minus 6dBs. Probably approaching something very high quality like a servo15 or a hgs15 right now.....so it's no wonder it sounds good to you!
TV

Vin

Supporting Actor
And I was thinking of selling my old Technics receiver.........maybe I need to rethink this.
rolleyes.gif

------------------

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
You and me both, Vin. Damn, if I can get that kind of performance out of my old Technics receiver, AND not have to spend 500 bucks on a sub amp, I'd be more than pleased.
Lee - what model receiver are you using?
-Nate

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
anything that could put a solid 75-125w into one of the CS woofs will probably surprise you. I used a $79 KLH to power a pair of 25-31cs SVs a while back. I'd be surprised if it could do much more than 100w/4ohm with both channels going...but I watched a few DVDs at reference level over a weekend with the setup and there wasn't any hiccups. However...I did take some(at the seat)measurements during the loudest bass with the KLH operating and noted them. Then I put a S700 in the system. The dynamic peaks got 3-6dB louder if memory serves. So I wouldn't want to call a old/cheap receiver a ideal permenant solution...but it sure does surprisingly well until a great deal on a bigger amp comes along.
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks