Just bought a sub kit..............

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SteveSpoon, Dec 11, 2003.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this from partsexpress http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-729

Couldn't pass up the deal on the free shipping. I'm hoping it will make a nice match with my 250 Partsexpress plate amp and Dayton 12"DVC.

Anything you can recommended on putting the whole thing together? Looking for a simple way to finish it, would you go with painting or veneer?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I've built that exact box for a friend w/ an AV12 and Rythmik 380 amp. It's extremely sturdy and amazingly well braced. You will need to cut into the back and the bracing if you plan on mounting your amp in the box. I finished the one I built w/ the PE Black Oak Vinyl because it was a spot on match for my friends Klipsch Refference speakers. If you go with the vinyl, put a couple of coats of black paint on all the edges so any imperfections in your vinyl work won't show up. Also, going over the edges w/ a router and flush will help get rid of any minor misalignments that could show through into the vinyl.

Painting MDF isn't easy. You need a good thick cover (not all one coat) of sanding sealer or else the MDF will soak up the paint, especially the edges. Also, sponge roled satin black latex has worked best for me, much better than anything i've ever tried to spray on. One trick I used on my first sub to cover where the edges soaked up the paint more was to make trim pieces out of stained hard wood.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

I've been doing a little more cruising around the partsexpress site and noticed the vinyl covering. This may be the way I'm going to go. Haven't found their veneer yet. Do they still have it? Thanks.

Can't wait to get the box!!

Steve