Just bought a sony scd-c333es!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshS, Nov 26, 2001.

1. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine called me at work yesterday and said he had been in the local Tweeter store (which means he spent $$$) and bought one of these players and one of Monster cables new power conditioners.

I've been looking to buy this player for a while now but was skeptical about buying a used one or spending $600 - $800.

Tweeter is blowing these out at..... $488.00!!!! In my mind this is a great deal. Since I am not interested in multichannel music this player seems like the perfect thing.

Sooo, I called the store, I called the wife, and after work I ran over and bought the player. The salesman said the players will probably run out by tuesday(they had 79 on sunday morning and when I bought mine they had 33).

They had to get it from another store so I haven't got the player yet, but will give my opinion after some time with it.

Anybody know where to buy the SACD discs?

And if Lex is lurking: New toys = new cables, you'll be hearing from me soon.

Thanks,

Josh

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, congratulations on your new purchase. I am using a 'C333ES in my second system, and it is a great component, both with CDs and SACDs. At $488, it was a no-brainer. I thought I got a good deal on it back in April at $600. That's O.K., people on the west coast were able to get the 'C333ES for $400 from Good Guys when they were blowing them out about a month ago. Still you did very well. Kudos.
    Places to buy SACDs:
    Best Buy (the stores have some Sony SACDs)
    Circuit City (the stores are starting to get in some SACDs)
    Tower Records
    www.amazon.com
    www.hmv.com
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.amusicdirect.com
    www.towerrecords.com
    www.buy.com
    www.cdnow.com
    This is by no means all the places to buy SACDs, though few other brick-and-mortar stores besides Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tower have them. Have fun!

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I just got the C555es changer. How does the C333es compare to the C555es for redbook CD's? Apparently the 333 has additional filtering choices.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gil, I own both the 'C333ES and 'C555ES, as you may know, but I have not compared them, as they are in different systems. All I can say is that both are excellent CD changers. Someone on Audio Asylum compared the two players and said the 'C333ES was better with CDs. This person claims to have looked inside both players and found that the 'C333ES has larger capacitors for each channel. It was said that since the 'C555ES has to handle multi-channel playback, it uses smaller capacitors due to space limitations. This was the person's reasoning for why the 'C333ES is a better CD player. All I can say is that I am equally happy with the 'C333ES and 'C555ES.

It is true that the 'C333ES has five different filters for CD playback, which the 'C555ES lacks. My '777ES also has these filters. I haven't played with them too much to be able to say that one filter is significantly better than the others. People say that the best filter depends on the type of music you are listening to (i.e., it varies), and overall, I have read that the differences between filters is subtle. I use the "standard" filter setting on the 'C333ES and '777ES.

5. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Keith,

I am considering picking up one of these 333 models for a 2nd system. Are there any known caveats or bugs with this older model? The 555es performs flawlessly without any hiccups. The Sony website mentions that the 333 weighs in at 23 lbs - the same as the 555, is this true?

Also, I am curious to know what the build date on your 555es is. I just got mine and it was manufactured back in April around the release date.

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I bought the c555es for $800 over the c333es for $500 simply based on the recommendation of someone on this forum who said that the 555es uses its' DACs in a parallel mode when playing back either two channel SACD or plain CD discs. I don't know if that is correct, but the c555es is the sweetest, yet most accurate and precise sounding CD player that I have ever heard for under $2000. I demoed it against, and preferred it to the CAL CL-10 CD player, which I had wanted for a long time. I've heard things, like breathing and background sounds, with the c555es when listening to my old CDs, that I've never heard before.

Still, I really liked the c333es and almost bought it at least a dozen times before I bought the 555es.

So, Josh... sit back and enjoy the music!

7. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guys

Keith:

Thanks for the links, I hope they will help my wife with stocking stuffers.

I hope it comes in soon, as I am extremely anxious listen to cds through a real cd player. I have been using my dvd player(toshiba 2109) for music and I REALLY do not like the sound, it's great for dvds but awful for cds.

My freind that also bought one is using a Classe cdp 1(cd), Classe cp 60(pre), Classe ca201(amp), PSB stratus goldi speakers, and EXtreremly expensive MIT cables.

I will be using it with Pioneer Elite vsx24tx reciever, Paradigm 7semkII speakers, and kimber and catcables cables.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a huge difference between our two systems.

Thanks again everyone, I'll post a review in a few weeks.

Josh

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gil,
    The 'C333ES and 'C555ES are virtually identical in terms of external build quality. If you want to get technical, the 'C333ES weighs 23 lbs. and change, while the 'C555ES weighs in around 24 lbs., 5 oz.
    I know of two bugs associated with the 'C333ES, one I have observed and one I have not. The bug I have observed occurs with single-layer, multi-channel SACDs. For some reason, it seems that these discs (played in stereo on the 'C333ES, of course) cause the LED display to screw up every once in awhile. The display will flicker for no apparent reason maybe three or four times during a song. The flickering is actually more like a very, very fast distortion. It's not as though the display goes from lit to dark to lit again (or if it does, it happens very quickly). Rather, the characters seem to almost distort for a split second and then appear normal. It's really weird and hard to explain unless you see it. It's important to note that the disc keeps playing without a hitch when this happens.
    I have only observed this distortion phenomenon with James Taylor Hourglass, which again, is a single-layer, multi-channel SACD. Therefore, I have never observed this problem with a CD, hybrid stereo SACD, or single-layer stereo SACD. Another member of this forum told me that his 'C333ES exhibited the same problem on Hourglass and Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells, which is a hybrid, multi-channel SACD. This distortion is not an on-going annoyance for me because I always turn off the display when I am using the 'C333ES. I just happened to catch the distortion while playing Hourglass on a rare occasion where I had the display on.
    The second bug, which I have not observed but have read about on Audio Asylum, is concerned with hybrid, multi-channel SACDs. Apparently, when the 'C333ES finishes playing the stereo SACD layer, it starts playing the disc again from a random spot, but it only emits high-frequency noise through the speakers. People on Audio Asylum have said that they have had problems stopping the disc when this happens. I guess the player just freezes up. I don't know if people have to turn the player off or what to stop this. The obvious way around this is to not play hybrid stereo SACDs on the 'C333ES or to be ready to stop the disc manually when the player reaches the end of the stereo layer. I have not heard of the high-frequency noise damaging speakers. I don't know how high is high.
    John,
    From what I have read, the 'C555ES has three Burr-Brown PCM 1738 DACs that run in parallel for playback of CDs and stereo SACDs. The Cal Audio Labs CL-10 was always a very well-regarded CD changer, so saying the 'C555ES in CD mode is better is saying a lot. I remember someone on Audio Asylum saying a few times that the CL-10 was a better CD changer than the 'C333ES. He claimed to own both and said the CL-10 was noticeably better. Does that mean the 'C555ES is better than the 'C333ES? Of course not. One can't draw conclusions from bringing a bunch of opinions together. [​IMG]

9. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Josh, you rang? lol. Congrats on the awesome deal man! [​IMG]
    Lex

10. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hey Doug,
    You've got mail.[​IMG]

11. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Josh, i went with six Blue Tigers for my 555ES [​IMG]
    - Chip