Just bought a Sony SCD-C222ES!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I was looking for a 555, but not a single one was in the city. So I started looking around for the 222. And today, I finally found one. I bought it right away, thinking this will be my last opportunity to get a Sony SACD ES changer. This was probably the last one in the city. [​IMG]

Until now, I've been using my Denon DVD-1600 for CD's and it sounds great, but at times it seems a little bright. Well, I just hooked up the Sony and immediately noticed it was clearer than the Denon and it's not bright at all. [​IMG]

I've only been listening to it for about an hour, but so far I have no complaints. It sounds great, nice build quality, and it looks pretty slick. I guess I have one minor complaint, the changer is a little slow and noisy. But overall, I'm very impressed.

I need to pick up some SACDs now. [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, great! Glad to hear you found a 'C222ES and that you are so happy with it. It's a great component for the money. I appreciate your comments about the CD playback quality of the 'C222ES versus your '1600. I know of at least one other member here who owns the 'C222ES and '1600 (ReggieW), and I would be curious to hear his views on these two components as CD players. He's had the two players for awhile.

You must get some SACDs! If you are looking for recommendations, post a question over in the Music Area.

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Paul,

I too (as KeithH stated) have the same combo you have. I enjoy the Denon 1600 a great deal for CD playback and really haven't heard major differences between it and the SCD-C222es. Then again, I have used the 222es very little for CD's as the changer is always full with SACD's! The Denon can be a little bright at times but I notice that it varies from recording to recording. Also, I have an entry level receiver (Denon 1802, soon to be Denon 3803) which I'm using to power everything and budget speakers (JBL N26's soon to be Paradigm Studio 20's), so this would also explain why the 222es might sound a little better in your system. I do enjoy the 222es a great deal and will likely enjoy it more once my speakers are upgraded. Good luck on your new purchase.

Reg

4. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I've spent the past couple hours listening to the 222. It hasn't caused any fatigue yet! [​IMG] It has such a full sound like the Denon, but as I already mentioned, the top end is a little clearer and less bright. I'm using B&W 602s with an NAD 3020i integrated stereo amp. I really took a gamble with this unit because it was on clearance and the store didn't have it setup for auditioning. I'm glad I bought it though. I never knew my CDs could sound so good.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul said:

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Congrats on the purchase. Go buy some SACDs and you will be amazed, I certainly was. Last week I found and purchased a CE775 for $100 at BB.[​IMG]

7. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Congrats on the purchase. Go buy some SACDs and you will be amazed, I certainly was. Last week I found and purchased a CE775 for $100 at BB.[​IMG]

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Paul,

It is nice to hear that you are happy with your new player. I just picked up the 222ES last week from JandR which still has the player in stock if anyone is interested. I found similar results as you on redbook performance. This player outdoes both of the earlier Sony CD changers I have owned(older 300 something model, and the CE775). SACD performance is excellent as expected. With the lack of quality 5 disc changers on the market, the 555ES (if you can still find it) and 222ES are two of the best players going in this category.

J

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith,

I saw the thread you mentioned yesterday and don't entirely agree with them since the thread appears to be nothing but negative (though started honestly by a person who bought the 3803 and was unsatisfied). If I were to start a thread stating just the opposite (i.e., positive comments) then you would have people chime in who bought the 3803 with great satisfaction singing its praises with few negative statements. I've seen this happen again and again. Positive praise thread = positive responses, negative thread = negative thread responses, I'm only speaking generally of course. To get to the point, I have heard the 3803 at the Good Guys played through Klipsch RF-3's (I think this is what they are called) and I was impressed. I didn't bring any of my own music along but liked what I heard. I am also considering the Pioneer 43tx/45tx (I work with the 49tx everyday at work) as well but am not too interested in the Sonys - they simply aren't for me at this point. Thanks for asking Keith, but for some strange reason, I've really had a tough time placing the sound of the Pioneer Elites, and I think they look much better than their Denon counterparts at their price point, while a Denon 3803 doesn't look any better than the 1803 at over twice the price. Frankly speaking the 45tx looks like a 1K receiver, the 3803 doesn't imho. Believe me, after Denon short-changed the DVD-1600 by leaving off simple necessities for a $500.00 player, I have definitely rethought the brand loyalty thing.

Thanks,

Reg

10. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

ReggieW,

I have a Sony 222ES with a Pioneer Elite 45TX and it sounds great.

11. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Juan,

That's great! You guys got me thinking about this 45tx/3803 thing today so much that I went to a local dealer and picked up a Pioneer Elite catalog. My question is this: What would be the advantage of the 45TX over the 43TX other than the multi-room capability and the automatic MCACC calibration of the 45tx? (MCACC is manual on the 43tx). Both receivers appear to be virtually identical in every other area but those I just mentioned. Power rating, weight (the 45tx only weighs 3lbs. more), DSP's, power supply, build construction, formats, and everything else is pretty identical. I don't need multi-room capability as I will likely place the Denon 1802 in there, as I still like the Denon sound.

Please let me know,

Reg

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am curious regarding what a "manual MCACC" calibration from a 43TX entails. The portion of the MCACC feature that offered the most performance improvement in my setup (47TX) was the room equalization. The MCACC offers two different eq curves -- one that attempts to align all speakers to match your main L/R speakers, and another "pre-defined" eq setting that adjusts all channels to match this eq curve. Personally, I prefer the "front align" setting which matches by center & surrounds to the mains.

How could the above be done manually? The other portions of MCACC -- level setting & speaker distances -- were more of a convenience, since I could easily do these myself with Avia, a SPL and a tape measure. The real value is in the room equalization, IMO.

13. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Congrats on the purchase, Paul. Sony did a great job with those ES players although the changers are a bit clunky. Maybe it was psycological, but I felt that it even performed better using the digital out than my previous Pioneer CD player.

Reggie,

The overall differences between the 43 & 45 are:

1.Auto MCACC(worth the difference alone, IMO)
    2.Phono input
    3.On-Screen display
    4.All key illumination on the remote
    5.Multi-room/Multi-source with video
    6.RS-232 port
    7.12V trigger
    8.5 digital inputs(adds an additional front optical port)
    9.USB terminal

They both share the same service manual and in the contrast the 45 does have alot of extra parts that the 43 doesn't, FWIW. I use the 45 as a pre/pro and have been very pleased with it.

I have a 555ES changer and most of the time I prefer to run a digital out from the Sony instead of using its output section, so I can use the MCACC's Sound tuning.

DJ

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks David.

It appears that online the 45tx averages only $100.00 more than the 43TX, so it would simply make sense to consider the 45tx instead for the 9 differences you pointed out. I probably will find a dealer who is unauthorized but offer their own warranty. The authorized dealer in my area would not budge off the retail price more than $200.00 (which I'm actually told is better than other authorized dealers who usually won't budge at all).

-Reg

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I understand your point about positive and negative threads. You should not take the '3803 thread in question as the last word, but I found it interesting to find so many negative comments about this receiver, considering the popularity of Denon receivers here, and specifically, the popularity of the '3801 and '3802.

Best of luck in your search. I hope you find what you looking for in your price range. Let us know what you settle on.

16. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

ReggieW,

I got my 45TX for $1000.00 out the door from an authorize dealer in Cerritos. I know you could find it on the net for about $150.00 less, but I though I should just let you know.