What's new

Just bought a Sony KP46WT510.... (1 Viewer)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
46" Widescreen HDTV for $1169 at Best Buy ($1299 with 10% off). This is my first widescreen HDTV and was wondering now that I have spent my hard earned money on it, what are your thoughts on this TV? Kind of did it bassackwards didn't I?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Actually you did do it bass-ackwards but landed in clover imho.

The WT510/WS510 series Sonys are among the best crt based HD-ready sets around. They need minimal tweaking out of the box to get very nice picture quality--put it in Movie or Pro mode and do a quick calibration with AVIA, with contrast ("Picture" on a Sony) turned down to about a third to half of maximum and you're pretty much good to go.

The DRC (sonyspeak for line doubling) on these is so good you don't really need to immediately pop for a progressive scan dvd player if you don't already have one, and the various stretch/zoom modes for 4/3 images are among the best in the industry.

The set you bought is a "table model" so you will have to put it on some kind of stand to get the proper screen height in order to not lose brightness, so I would not recommend just putting the set on the floor. Ideally you want to have the center third of the screen about even with eye level from your normal viewing position.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Thanks Steve. I actually have the Bush swivel top stand that I bought when I bought my 32", it holds up to a 36" with the swivel top in place. With the swivel top removed, it is 48" across, the Sony is 42 3/4". It also has a weight capacity of over 300 pounds so it will be plenty strong enough. All in all,it should fit perfectly and with the measurements I took, the picture height should be perfect.

Thanks for the comments about the TV, all I knew is that it and the picture quality looked really good every time I checked it out. Already have a Sony Progressive scan DVD player, model SLV-D300P. Bought it a couple weeks ago on a sale in preparation for the new TV.

Now I just have to wait for Comcast to get the HD tuner installed on wednesday. ;)

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
i got the kp-51ws510 about 1 month ago. 51" version of your tv. i like it alot. quick auto convergence and turned down brightness and sharpness a little. looks very nice with dvds and standard cable is surprisingly good. happy viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks