Just bought a Panny 53tw53. Calibration help.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by KevinFord, Aug 12, 2003.

1. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

This being my first foray into rear projection, I'd like any advice that you guys can offer me for making the right calibration decisions from the start, so I don't damage my set, or damage it as little as possible. I'm having the 53tw53 delivered tomorrow morning. I've heard of Avia and VE on this forum. Are they a good choice for a novice such as myself?

I play probably 2-4 hours of Xbox once a week, watch a couple DVDs a week, and watch a couple of hours of non-hd digital cable each day with some hd cable mixed in.

I have the 53wx53 sitting in my living room right now, bought it at Circuit City and they are coming to replace it tomorrow with the 53tw53. On the 53wx53, I didn't see a setting for contrast in the menu? What am I missing?

The guys at Panasonic told me the screen shield on the 53tw53 is a newer model and should provide better anti-reflective properties than the 53wx53. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kevin

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Avia or VE will be extremely useful.

VE (I've never used Avia personally) does a good job of explaining each setting and how to change it correctly. It will also go through the many different names for each setting - for example you couldn't find contrast on your wx53 because it is probably called "Picture" on that set.

Another good resource is www.panny.tv - they have lots of tweaks and calibration instructions for Panny RPTVs.

BTW, how did you get CC to replayce yor wx53 with a tw53? Was something wrong with the old set?

3. joey mr

joey mr Stunt Coordinator

well just yesterday i spent some time screwing around with the set and this i can tell you

the pic was better and the stretch modes are the same and they still have the red push issue but it is not a big deal just put down the color and the contrast is the picture i dropped it a lot maybe to 25% and put up brightness maybe 15% the pic was very good and man it is a good looking set but it is huge [​IMG]

and the difference between the wx and the tw is the tw uses a shorter throw system in the set [​IMG]

so enjoy your new set [​IMG]

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Any information that applies to the WX52 or WX53 will apply to this set as well. Aside from the lenses and the built-in sound system, they are the same.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The service menu convergence system has changed somewhat from the 52 units from last year though.

Regards

6. KevinFord

Another question. On the wx53, I can't adjust the aspect ratio of my digital cable image when it is non-hd. When I read the manual, it says that 4:3 viewing is not recommended. It also recommends a different aspect ratio for each different format. When I get my regular digital cable (with component video inputs), I can't change the aspect ratio and it appears that I am stuck with the grey bars on the left and right sides. It looks somewhat more than 4:3, but I can't change it. Any ideas? Is this the same on the tw53?

7. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

When you use the component output of the cable box, all signals sent out are 1080i ... (even the original 480i stuff which is simply upconverted to 1080i by the box)

As far as the TV is concerned ... it only sees a 1080i signal there so it does not permit aspect ratio changes. No different than trying to change aspect ratios on the true HD programming.

For aspect to work, you much us the S-video or lower connection from the cable box into the TV and be on the appropriate input on the TV.

Regards

8. KevinFord

Michael, thanks for the input. It brings me to a few new questions.

First, my cable company provides me with a lineup that contains 2 HD channels, and over 200 non-hd channels. If I switch to a S-video cable to go from the cable box to the set, will my HD channels still display in HD? I'm concerned because the manual recommends AGAINST using 4:3 mode.

Second, assuming the answer to the first question is no, can I connect component cables AND S-video cables from the cable box to the TV and just select the appropriate input on the TV, depending on what channel I'm watching?

Third, I have three devices that use component video outputs: cable box, dvd, and xbox. My 53wx53 (being replaced by 53tw53 in about an hour), has only two component inputs. What would you recommend. currently, I'm switching the component inputs from the xbox to the dvd player when I want to use it but I obviously would like a more elegant solution. My receiver doesn't switch component video, but I have seen some that do. Most of the receivers I saw (

9. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If using S-vid ... HD channels will still appear ... however, they will be downconverted to S-vid.

You will need to have both the component and the S-vid connected to get the best of both worlds ... and remembering to switch accordingly when required.

Low tech solution is to use y splitters for the component input.

Next step up is to use a JVC type component switcher for about $60 to $80

Next up beyond that is to try a powered component switcher like one from Inday or Audio Authority for about $160 to $200.

Don't know about the line conditioner, but I use one simply for peace of mind.

Regards

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

11. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar problem with COMCAST digital HD/non-hd cable. What I had to do is to tell the comcast box to output 480p for non HD output instead of 1080i and then the tv was able to stretch the 480 signal. I dont think the DVI input allows for this, but I havent had a chance to test it because I dont have DVI cable yet. I have heard elsewhere though, that the 53tw53 with DVI input ends up like you have it (no stretch, just bars on the side).

YMMV
    Daffy Arthur King
    with the brain of a duck