Just bought a new MP3 player now I need headphones

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Reid K, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

I was kind of thinking of the panasonic RP-HC70 are these any good? Right now I have the sony ear clip ones but those get crackly at low frequencys will these peform better than that? I like the noise cancelling since Iam on the bus 5 days a week and it is nice to cancel all that outside noise.

2. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

or perhaps the RP-HC50 they are the same price and everything but are ear buds. Which do you think will have a better sound and will it improve on the headphones I have already?

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Definitely check out KOSS for great bang-for-the-buck...

I have a pair of Koss PLUGS which are in-ear headphones, they deliver GREAT sound, and great bass for such tiny headphones... cost around $35CAD.

Also I have a pair of KOSS PortaPros, which are portable head-band type headphones. They look really oldschool, but they sound AWESOME. Great bass, great clarity, AMAZING comfort, the most comfortable headphones i've ever worn. cost me $70 CAD.

4. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Second the Koss portapros. I asked for those for christmas after testing them out and reading many, mnay positive reviews. Was given a pair of Sony Cd280s instead. Grr. The sonys have anemic bass (if you can even call it bass).

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you like the Porta-Pros, get a pair of Sennheiser HP-25 SP's. You'll think you've died and gone to heaven! I've have both and the Sens blow the Koss out of the water - great bass, very clean and much more neutral. They're larger than the Koss and go for about $125 new, but the improvement is worth it. Deals can be found, however - I got mine on eBay for about $50. They probably don't qualify as "noise cancelling," but they are a sealed design. I've used them on airplanes, which I'm sure is much more noisy than a bus.

Regards,
    WayneA. Pflughaupt

6. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i vote for sennheiser also

7. JeremyBurgess

JeremyBurgess Auditioning

Nickso has it right--Koss is the best bang for the buck, Koss KSC 35 and 50 were for a long time considered the best deal in audio, hands down. I have the 35's (they fit over the ear with sunglass-like clips) and they hold their own against much more expensive cans like Grado and Senns. Cost:$27.

Other portable solutions: Sennheiser mx 500, earbuds, I've never owned but have read many positive reviews, not very expensive as I recall.

Canal phones--plug inside the ear held in place by foam--great for isolation--Koss has a cheap version--I used to use for working out--notorious lack of detail cost around $22 but not really worth it.

Etymotic ER-4p canal phones--the most accurate sound I have ever heard. Bass is there but not overwhelming. If you like detail, these are the phones for you. If i'm unsure about the lyrics of a song, these phones reveal it. And they are great for isolation, they block out something like 29db's of outside sound. Etymotic is a company that makes hearing aids. The ER-4p's are not cheap, I think I paid $220 for mine about 2 years ago. But they are worth every penny. They can make you forget that you are in an airplane. They are convenient, as they are so small, and you don't give the rest of the world a concert.
    The Ety's are very popular over at head-fi. This site won't let me post a URL, but google head-fi and you'll find it quick. It is a great site, been around a couple years and has an ample archive--search for portable or portable phones and you'll find many threads discussing your exact situation.
    Hope this helps,
    Jeremy

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    If you're considering traditional over-the-head cans, give the Grado SR60 a listen. Truly phenomenal sounding, non-fatiguing, lightweight headphones that work great without additional amplification on portable audio players. I can listen with them for hours. You can find 'em for around $70. Well worth it.

9. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Take a look at the Sennheiser PX100s - I use these in commuting on the train and for walking. They are not closed or noise canceling but for $40, they sound great with my SlimX IMP-350 player from IRiver. There is also the closed version called the PX200s. Check out headfi.org, I believe, lots of information on headphones over there.

cheers,

--tom

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I travel from time to time too so I boguht sealed headphones.. Sennhesier HD280 pro. Something like $80 on etronics.com.

11. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I've tried a few different phones/buds with a Sony MZR90 Minidisc player and lately a Nomad IIc MP3 player. I thought the Koss KSC50 was way too quiet with the MD player - just not enough volume. I got some Sony EX70 in-ear buds that are well regarded by some for their bass performance. Not bad, sounded good, but again not that loud, and I had trouble getting them to stay in my ears during particularly sweaty workouts, (pretty gross, I know, but that's the nature of the canal phones), and now they have literally fallen apart. There's kind of a paper cover on the speaker section that got soggy and fragile.

I just switched to using the MP3 player, which is just more convenient for gym use, although the sound quality is definitely not as good as the MD, and I've tried some Panasonic phones that hook on to your ears, (can't remember the model number). Again, underwhelming volume, even though the MP3 player seems to have a bit more oomph than the underpowered MD player.

Sooo, to get to the point, I've gone back to using the over-the-head vertical in-ear type that came with the MD in the first place - Sony MDR-A34 I think. A bit lacking in bass, maybe not very subtle, but by far the most sensitive/lowest impedance, allowing for the puny amps in my sources to at least push some volume my way. Maybe I just like my music loud.

12. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

okay so Im down to either the koss old school ones mentioned by nick (going to take closer look right away),and the sennheiser px-200s. Can anyone tell me if the sennheisers are worth the extra green? (will be a little over 100$ canadian i think with all the shipping)

13. TroyV

TroyV Extra

just letting you guys know Koss is headquartered in Milwaukee, and you get killer deals at their headquarters.

You can also get killer deals at summefest. Most of their headphones are 50% off.