Just bought a new bike- Opinions?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by CaseyLS, Sep 17, 2004.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I was looking for something to ride to campus and I ended up with a Schwinn Mesa GSX. I paid $400 for because there was a bit of a mix up with another bike I had on hold. Basically, they sold it to some other 6'5" guy who walked in and looked at it earlier. So they took 40 bucks off of this one.

I got a helmet, waterbottle, cage and a lock. Are Kryptonites good?([​IMG])

So what else do I need? I figure I should get some kind of tool kit that I can carry with me when I head out on trails. Anything else?

I was surprised how hard it was to find a 23" bike

2. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Hey Casey,

I too am 6'5" and I am totally into cycling. I would agree that what you got is great for campus commuting but I would recommend that you "hit" the trails with a more capable bike. My previous bike suffered a couple of bent rims as a result of pushing the bike beyond it's capabilities and limits and approximates what you have now.

For what it's worth, my current ride is a 2002 Trek 8000 with a few upgrades. I hit the trails (no freeriding, mostly fast singletrack) and have managed to stay worry-free. Unfortunately, for cycling cost does equate performance to a certain degree. My bike with the upgrades set me back ~$1,800 Cdn. Crazy to some, but middle road for the hard cores. I would be hesitant to do this on a commuter bike (I too have a bike for commuting - but it's only used for commuting and to that purpose, it is great).

Keep the bike for it's primary use and save for another one for the trails.

For a toolkit, I'd recommend getting a spoke wrench, a philips stubby screwdriver, and only the allen keys that you need for your particular bike (brakes, stem, and seat bolts come to mind).

3. Kevin O

Kevin O Agent

Watch out for Kryptonite locks. I read an article on CNN .com reporting that Krytonite locks can be picked by using the non-writing end of a bic pen. This is kind of unnerving since I use a Kryptonite lock myself.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Consider also for the price of an expensive kryptonite-brand lock, you could adopt a Rottweiler at the local ASPCA and buy a 12' length of chain to attach said dog to your bike. I assure you that the dog willbe a better investment. (plus scratching a bike-locks tummy isn't half as satisfying) [​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

There's a thread right here on After Hours about the Kryptonite Lock bic pen problem.

6. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Yeah guys the Krypto part was a joke. Hehe

I did ask the salesman at the store and he said their locks weren't the ones with the defect.

And as far as riding on trails goes, I don't plan on doing anything too rough. The state park I work at has some nice horse trails that would provide a long loop and it also wouldn't be too rough.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I rarely lock either of my "mountain bikes" where I cannot see them. I have 3 bikes. My original "mountain bike" which I used to race and go hardcore MTB'ing, then my second MTB which I have fenders on etc for commuting, and then my recent MTB which I use for hardcore MTB'ing. My "commuter" bike is a fairly old (15 or 16 years old!) MTB, but in its day it was made strong and decent, and is still a good bike which I use for commuting. Its not very attractive to steal.

I've used a Kryptonite lock for 10 years and never had problems.