Just Bought A Lightsaber!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Williams, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

Just bought a replica of Luke Sky Walker's Lightsaber from Return of the Jedi. It's as close to the real thing as you can get. It's from a company called Master Replica. These are being produced with George's permission, so they are real. I found it right on the starwars.com homepage. Only 2500 being made worldwide, so get one while you can. There is also the Han Solo Blaster which there is only 1500 being made. There will also be 2 more available soon according to the Star Wars website. They will be the lightsabers from Attack of the Clones that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda use. I might have to get me those too. Check them out, they look pretty sweet to me.
    Jeff

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    It better work for $300. [​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Of course, you can't buy a lightsaber (at ANY price). You can only buy a lightsaber prop. [​IMG]

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Funny thing about Lucas films....they aren't real history, so any toys are not going to be the "real thing".
    Actually I liked the sniper rifle from Enemy at the Gates, so I just bought one. Arsenal refurbished Mosin-Nagant M91/30, and it almost certainly saw action on the Russian front in WWII. And it was only $130. And it's the REAL THING, not just a prop. If you have a C&R you can get them at www.gunsnammo.com .

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Dennis, I bought an M1-Garand for that same reason, I liked it. To this day, it is still one of the most accurate in my collection. It is the real deal and I paid $300 for her. A beautiful rifle.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I too have an M1 Garand.
    Well, actually I have two now [​IMG] I liked the first one I got so much I had to get another. I now feel the need building for another to keep the first two company...
    Real sweet rifles. Everyone interested in guns or history should get one.

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Ron,
    Where the heck did you get "a Garand for less than a grand", i.e. for $300? Through the Civilian Marksmanship Program? www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm Hard to find a decent one these days for less than about $700.

8. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    I don't wanna hi-jack this thread....but:
    Not sure if you guys have played:
    Medal Of Honor: AA
    But, there's some good rifle selections and had made some people feel compelled to go out and buy them. (M1..etc)
    Fun game too...
    ~Rob

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Dennis, I bought it about 10 years ago, when they were not so popular. After SPR was released, the prices jumped.
    One of the best sounds from that movie is the "ping" when the clip is ejected. Sounds just awesome.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

WOW! This thread really turned into something I didn't expect judging from the title description. [​IMG]

11. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

I had the privilage of fireing an M-1 several years ago. I will never forget the ping sound of the empty clip being ejected. I also noticed it during SPR and made the film seem all the more real.

12. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

One of mine (the Korean war era one) will obligingly "ping" out the clip right into the range bag I keep next to me while shooting. [​IMG]
    Both of mine are DCM/CMP rifles.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The one thing all the props lack is the ability to mount prop blades in them

I might spend $150 on one that I could actually use in a fanfilm

14. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Youd think that all the money Ive spent on SW that I would have bought one of these sabers, but no. I congragulate you! Good job!

15. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Don. I'll enjoy my new saber. It's amazing how the topic went from lightsabers to guns. You never know what topics will spark new ones. The saber may not be the real real thing, but at least it is made of metal and not some cheap plastic.

Jeff

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Congrats, Jeff! Be sure to report back when you receive it. [​IMG]
    -Dave

17. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Those are not combat grade, just expensive toys basically
    I want something you can actually use as a prop to film with.
    I built the saber's for Fan Wars (http://www.theforce.net/theater) for about $2 apiece at the home depot using threaded dowels, flashlights, and chrome paint. they were fine as long as people's hands were on them, but no way were they hero props

19. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I've got a "working" Ben Kenobi - A New Hope lightsaber I bought from Jeff Parks at www.parksabers.com about a year ago. Kind of pricey (for me, anyway), but well worth it, as it is one of the most interesting things I have in my Star Wars collection.
    The hilt, while not being 100% movie-accurate, is really close, and works just fine for me. It has a removable electro-luminescent (sp?) blade, which really looks incredible outside at night or in low-light conditions. In daylight, it's a bit washed-out, but that's OK. And since its an EL blade, I can lightly knock it against things if I'm swinging it around the house, without having to worry about it shattering. The plasma blades on some sabers--while they technically look better, are nowhere near as tough as the EL blades--you have to be very careful when handling them.
    Really looking forward to seeing what Master Replicas does with their $150 "working" Episode II Anakin and Darth Vader sabers. Sound effects, too! Hopefully, they'll be cool. $150 is an amazing price if they're done well.
    -mwb-