Just bought a DVD HDD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

All I can say is WOW. I really like my new toy! It is a Samsung DVDH40. It sports a 40GB Hard Disk that replaces forever the Videotape. I can record on the HD most DVD pictures, up to 20. But best of all I can watch TV and pause it and continue to enjoy my programs at a later time. I love it. [​IMG]

2. Bruce Patterson

Congratulations!

I'm considing this purchase as well. Can you fill me in a little bit on why you chose this model?

Thanks!

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Very nice! Now its time to rip open that sucker and try to stick in a 120gig HD! [​IMG]

4. Manuel Delaflor

Bruce, thanks. The only reason is that it is the first available in here! I live in Mexico City by the way.

NickSo, that's exactly what Im wondering! [​IMG]

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Hmmm.....HD on HD.....

6. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I can't find it on Samsung's website. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

7. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

120 gigs?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Forget that...........
    Maxtor 300gig BABY!!!!!

Actually, what if that hard drive fails? I'm not to keen about anything with hard drivers expect PCs and laptops. Harddrives fail, sometimes when you don't expect it.

8. MikeNagy

MikeNagy Stunt Coordinator

Just stay away from IBM's DeskStar 75 GXP or 60GXP lines and you should be fine. [​IMG] Ironically, I've owned "the most death-prone drive ever", the 30 GB 75gxp, for almost three years, under constant use, and it hasn't died yet. I know three other people who had drives from the 75gxp line, all of whom had their drives fail on them. Heh, sucks for them I guess.

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    almost all IDE HDs made in the past 5 yrs or so carry a 3 year warranty (and SCSI drives usually have a 5 yr warranty), so if it dies on you just call Maxtor up and RMA it. it's not that hard or much of a pain, really.

10. Manuel Delaflor

Is changing the HD as easy as plug&play? Im thinking in that upgrade... But I can't even find how to make it zone free, much less how to replace its HD!

11. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

since my question seems to be ignored, here we go again.

"I can't find it on Samsung's website. Can you provide a link? Thanks."

12. Manuel Delaflor

13. MikeNagy

Changing hard drives is easier than making a DVD player region-free. Just unplug two cables, take the old one out, and plug the new one in.

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    But willt he software support it?

Its not like a computer, im thiking it would take more hacking like a Tivo or Xbox would

15. MikeNagy

I don't see why not...only old school OS's like Windows 95 have problems with large capacity drives. Anything modern should be able to interface with just about any drive of the same type as what is provided (ATA vs SCSI, laptop-sized vs standard, etc). Newer drives are backwards compatible with older interfaces, so while you may not be making best use of the 120 gigger's high speed etc, you will probably be able to use it. For instance, if your drive is capable of ATA 133 (dma mode 6) but the other hardware can only do ATA 66 (dma mode 4), then the drive will just run at dma mode 4.

The only trick is getting the new drive formatted correctly. Back in 2000, Tom Pabst did a guide for upgrading the proprietarly-formatted hard drive in a Creative Nomad Jukebox. If your new drive won't work just by popping it in, you would need to do something similar to what Tom describes in his article. http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20001110/mp3-13.html He has a few links to other related sources of information, and you can try asking for help on the AnandTech Highly-Technical forum if you need it.

Let me know if any of you guys decide to try this on some huge drive...it'd be really sick if you pulled it off. Can you imagine how much TV / movies you can squeeze onto 200 GB?? [​IMG][​IMG]