What's new

Just bought a Denon 1600 and have a question. (1 Viewer)

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, et al,

Well, I tried the SVS at 3/4 power and took my sub channel level on the receiver all the way down. The low freqs were almost gone except for the huge thud problem below, I guess, 40 hz.

Putting your set up in this fashion definitely is the worse case scenario for the problem I am having.

I ran the Avia tone test for all speakers (including the one for the sub in this section) which starts at 200 hz and drops. It all sounded even and got louder at about 40 hz. I thought the SVS was at some resonant freq and was just doing its thing.

(Yes I know there is a dedicated tetst just for the sub on another chapter that starts at 100 hz and goes down fronm there.)

But, since I still had the problem when I went to a DVD (using Shrek now), is it possible that the low frez hole actually extends beyond 200 hz? That would explain why the sound loudness didn't change much, it was always in the hole.

Well, I will try Jeffs idea and reset the receiver (3803) tonight and try one more time. I will turn down the sub and turn up the sub channel at the receiver.

This is my last try. Then, back it goes and I am done with the 1600.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

By the way, there is another report of the exact same problem that just popped up on the AVS forum in DVD hardware section.

KenRen

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, Tommy, Brain, et al,

I rebooted (reset) my receiver and everything is........

.......working fine!!!! wooo-hooooo

I had to recal sound levels with Avia but the problem seems to be gone. Not seems, IS! It appears now that the receiver was the problem. Remember, none of us have the same receiver, so this is most unlikely.

My SVS is amp is a little higher now (no problem, still about 1/3) and the receiver sub level is at +1. (fine)

So, something went on when I first connected the 1600 or during my connecting and reconnecting and reconnecting everything. Yes, everything was off when I did the changes, as required. But, who knows.

Now, during all this nonsense, I did notice that some of my buttons on my MX-500 universal remote stopped working, especially the punch-throughts for receiver audio. Should have been a hit huh? Receiver problem huh? DUH!

Anyway, if you haven't tried resetting your receiver, try it. Make all of the connections first, turn everything off, and follow your manuals directions to reset the microprocessor.

In fact, I will be starting a new threat that suggests resetting (rebooting) your receivers microprocessor periodically. Just like recal-ing your audio or TV.

One word of caution on the enthusiasm: I have not turned anything off since the reboot. If tomorrow the problem is back, I'll let you all know. But frankly, it's working now and I have LOTR in, and want to watch my first DVD on the HT system before I screw it up again.

Keep an eye on this thread and I'll report (and anyone else can too) if something goes amiss again.

If I had a 1600 and noticed no problem, I'd reset my receiver and see if you notice any differnce. Maybe you have it and never realized what you are missing.

Right now, I owe a big thanks to Jeff for starting this thread and all of you for helping. Here's hoping to everyone that this is the solution.

If this works for anyone else, let us know.

KenRen

Real Name
Brad
Folks,

I reset my receiver last night and made my re-adjustments. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say I'm sitting around 7.5 vs a 3 when I first started. Part of the low score is a result of:
- Needing to turn my individual levels (FLRCRSW Channels) up to +10db from +7Db and increasing my LFE by 50%. I also had to turn my M&K sub up from +3b to +5db. Finally, I'm still missing that mid-bass(500hz) thud from the speakers. However, it's MUCH better than when I started but it's still not where I would like it to be. I even had another HTF friend come over and validate this comment. He also mentioned how AWESOME the picture was which I firmly agree. The picture is perfect on my 65" big screen.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Good to hear Ken...Like I said...I had the same thing way back when...needless to say after 10 posts on here, (almost) everyone has had success:) I just started from scratch and ran all the tests and recalibrated everything again... Now enjoy that 1600!! tl

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Interesting thread guys. As I just purchased a 1600 myself, I may try reseting the receiver (Denon 2802) for curiousity purposes as I integrated this into my system after I had already calibrated my system. To be honest, it sounds great as is, but I've always wanted to re-cal everything anyways. I'll post my findings over the weekend.
Phil

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, et al,

Well, the reset is still holding as of this weekend. The sound is correct and the problem was the receiver. A friend of mine reminded me that we had a 2 minute power outage 2 weeks ago, the weekend before I bought the 1600.

I am now thinking that a power spike when the power came back on might have snapped the microprocessor in the receiver. Since the first DVD I played after the event was on the 1600, the receiver was out all the time, accounting for the poor sound from both 1600 I tried.

Guess that power conditioner isn't as good as I thought. I will be resetting the receiver as part of a regular maintenance program.

I am thankful that I can still hear a sound problem. The old ears are working good.

Guy from Ohio, can I assume you have had some power outages with all the storms the mid-west has gotten over the past 4 weeks? Maybe some of you other folks too?

Now, on to HDTV with DirectTv. Gheeeesh, will this upgrade crap ever end?

KenRen

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Ken..I believe if the power is shut off(not standby, actually unplugged or shut-off), your receiver may goto default settings...if that is so, your bass peak level would be set to its lowest number(mine is -72) tl

I recently purchased the 1600 and I have lost my midrange sound as well. I will reset my receiver, Denon 3802, once I figure out how to do it. I was using the Sony dvps-500d which I loved but it was out of date. The picture on the 1600 is great though!

Real Name
Brad
KenRen:

IMHO, I think the comibinatin of resetting my AMP AND increasing the front,mid and low bass on my LRC speakers +2db and the sub made the difference for me. I just watched DIE ANOTHER DAY and it sounded fantastic. A friend of mine was over and couldn't believe the picture and the surrounds.

ChrisJ:

I still love my sony dvp-s550d! It has more features(Except Progressive Scan) then the Denon 1600, sturdier, A++ Remote Control, and IMHO more aesthically pleasing and was built 4 years ago!! Funny thing is both players were the mid $400 range. Go figure...:eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks