Just bought a B&K and need soem help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave Nelms, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms Stunt Coordinator

I am hoping someone out hear could give me a hand with my new upgrade.

I just purchased a B&K AVR507 and was wowed at the dealership by the sound and build quality. However while waiting for the unit to arrive I downloaded the manual from B&K's web site. My question is, what are the best ways to set this baby up?

I am used to looking at the instructions from a preamp or receiver that may be only 15-20 pages but this beast is over 80 pages.

The questions I have are mostly in how to best set up the notch filter, but any other tricks anyone has stumbled on would be a great help.

Thanks in advance-

Dave

2. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I have the Reference 50 but this should still apply. I found it a lot easier to et everything up, using my computer, using the B&K suite software. It was a lot easier to see the all of the available menus.

I don't really have any other tips except to keep on playing around with the different modes and see what configurations you like best.

I haven't used my notch filter yet, so I can't help there.

3. Dave Nelms

Thanks George-

I have been reading over the instruction manual for the remote and I think I am going to just have to dive in and start programing it.

Having a little trouble with the main unit though. Had to hard kill it and reset all of my settings twice already. Other than that the unit is performing well.

If anyone has any hints on how to set up the notch filter-please help!

Thanks again-

Dave

4. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

I have the B&K 307 receiver, but it also has the notch filter option and I'm quite sure it is almost exactly the same as the Ref 50 setup.

It's been a while since I've set mine up, but basically you run test tones to the sub and need to "notch out" the areas that really cause problems in your room (i.e. heavy vibrations, etc.) (Make sure you run the test tones at different volumes.)

I think a short explanation would be that you are eliminating a frequency range that creates nodes, etc in your room.

David

5. Dave Nelms

Thanks Dave Man-

I feel that some time alone this weekend would be in order.

So far it sounds great and is working well, but as most tweakers I want to squeeze as much out of the unit as possible.

Again, if anyone out there has any hints or tips on how to tweak this beast, please let me know.

Thanks in advance-

Dave

6. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Dave
    congrats
    As already stated
    Most people use the notch for the sub. Go to system/speakers/eq and turn on the tone. Use the L/R arrow keys and move up and down between 20 to 80 or more and find the center freq that makes the worse boost in your room (using a Sound Meter). Then you can back it down to help with the boost at that point. There will be a few bad points in most rooms. Pick the center point of the biggest bump.

My room has a nasty bump at 46 so I pull it back around -3 to -5. A newer revision of the 507 will have 3 notch filters (Yes!) so I'll be in heaven when that arrives.

Page 2 or 3 of the B&K button on the remote lets you adjust the center/sub and surround levels on the fly without changing your main settings when you switch to another disk or input, or power down the unit. A nice feature for helping on a disk with a soft center or hot bass.

The THX Ultra sub setting is a try it and see kinda thing. I don't use it, but you might.

The MX700 software is great. You'll have fun with it.
    Coolest remote on the planet.

Best Luck
    E

7. Dave Nelms

Thanks E-

This looks like taht will be my weekend project.

I am having fun programing and then reprograming the remote.

8. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

This should help. It's from an archived post over at the AVS Forum.

"I finally had time after class wednesday to play with the B&K notch filter room correction stuff. I have had the Ref 50 for 8 months or so, and I am just getting to this now. I was worried about messing something up, but it was very easy to do, and it sounds like I have a new sub(not that the twin SVS ultras were bad, but after this tweak, everything came together)!

If you have the ref 50 and haven't done this yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!! This really helps out your system.

Here are some wonderful instructions that made this easy for me which were posted by Longshanks DVD @HTS. A big thank you to Mr. Longshanks:

1. You need a rat shack meter, patience, pen & Paper (BTW-this whole thing is done just like setting your speaker levels)

2.In the speaker EQ menu in the set up select "NO" for THX boudary comp (which turns things down at 60hz and 20hz...why would anyone want to get rid of 20hz?)

3. Next I would select the freq which your x-over point starts (i.e. 80hz for THX)

4. Play test tone at that level (I just used the first one offered and write down the results. Turn it off after you write it down before selecting the next.

5 Go back to the freq field and go down a notch (it goes in 2's i.e. next would be 78hz)

6. continue steps 4 and 5 until you hit 20hz (the bottom)

7. More than likely you'll see a pattern where there is a number of freq. which are much higher than the rest of the freqs and one "notch" that is the highest. This will usually be in the boomy ranges 60-35hz.

8. select this frequecy as the "notch" -there is a field to select the notch.

9. next you need to select the bandwidth width (i.e 30hz to 40 hz if that was the width of the hump). The more of the freq that are too high, the wider the width is to set ,if its only 2 or 3 offender freqs then make it more narrow.

10.From this point start at -3 to bring the area of the hump DOWN (NEVER RAISE THE LEVEL/This will only compremise your sub performace)

11. Go back now and play the trouble freq. areas again and see if it was enough (if not keep droping by -3s) to bring the numbers close to the majority of the readings (write down findings for reference)

12.Thats it (hope I wasnt too confusing)... -exit the menu and reset your sub level and enjoy!"

9. Dave Nelms

Donnie-

Thanks so much. That is exactly the type of information I have been looking for. Hopefully I will have some time on Saturday morning to mess around with the setting before things get too crazy around my house.

Do you know of any links to any print reviews of this unit? I looked around but I could not locate any.

Thanks again

Dave