What's new

Just Bought a 27" Trinitron (KV-27FS100) - What Are The BEst Color Settings (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I just bought a 27" Trinitron for $499 and am about to start it for the first time and do the color adjustments. I saw the display model in the store and looked at the color settings, and saw some I was unfamilar with. I don't want to adjust it and find out that it is the incorrect adjustments or that I don't know hwat ehy mean, since adjusting one can affect others. I don't have Avia or any calibratiomn equipement or discs, so I was wondering if anyone with the same or similar models coould help in the adjustments, so I can get the best picture possible. I can't wait to try out the 16:9 enhanced mode. Thanks

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Josh,

Try this:

Turn color all the way down so the picture is black and white. Turn contrast (Sony calls this "Picture") down until whites turn grayish, then back up until they just turn white again, no higher. Next turn brightness down until detail in dark parts of the picture disappears completely, then back up until you just start to see details in dark parts of the picture but not far enough to make blacks start to look very dark gray instead of truly black. It's normal to lose a little detail in very dark parts of the screen so don't turn up brightness to get all the detail to show, the result will be a washed-out looking picture.

If the set has a "color temp" control, set it at "warm" for dvd, "neutral" for regular tv.

Next turn color way up, until faces are really flourescent looking. With the color up this far, adjust Hue to get the most natural looking fleshtones. Now turn color down until fleshtones look real and not sunburned or overemphasized.

Turn sharpness down below 1/3rd, until edges are softenned a bit.

If the set has different picture modes (pro, movie, standard, vivid) do these adjustments in each one, but use mostly pro or movie when watching the set. If the picture is hard to see in daylight using these settings, store a higher Picture setting in Standard mode to watch during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks