What's new

Just auditioned Def Techs. If you are familiar, please help!! (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I visited very reputable dealer this weekend 2 hours from home. Wanted to test the Def Techs and the M&K. The dealer did not have the M7K 750s that I wanted to audition and is no longer going to carry the M&K line. I did get to hear the Def Techs. I auditioned both the power tower 2002TL and the 2006TL with the 2002 center and BPVX surrounds. They sounded pretty good with HT and music but I really wanted to compare to the M&K. He spent very little time with me auditioning very little material so I did not really get a feel for them. The dealer told me that the subs in the towers needed no separate sub which I would like to believe to avoid the expense, but do not want to "miss out" on the experience that true bass can add. Can they truly provide decent bass? Also, are the 2002TL worth the extra $1000 over the 2006TL? Thanks!

PomingF

Second Unit
Kelly, Bob23 on AVS is Bob_A here. I am sure he will chime in give him some time. ;)
I have the BP2000 and find adding a quality SW adds substance to the bass esp with movies.
PF

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Kelly, you will find a noticable difference in midrange and bass between the 2002 and 2006, but I'm not sure it's worth $1000 more. My neighbor has the 2006, which I recommended for his apartment because of space issues(no room for sub, or so he said. I think it was a wife issue).

Anyway, if it was me, I'd buy a pair of the 10b's and get yourself a separate sub. The Powerfield subs are nice or you could look into an SVS. However, I have the DefTech ProSub 100tl, which is a 10' 250 watt sub and I've always been impressed with it, especially since it's only $450.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kelly,

I would caution you that the M&K (direct radiator type speaker) and the Def Tech (Bipolar type speaker) are very different type speakers.

They sound very different depending on what type of room each are in (how reflective the room is).

Direct radiators like the M&K typically have better soundstaging characteristics (locate instruments better in a soundstage in front of you) because they are not creating added room reflections from the speaker drivers out the back of the speaker like the Def Techs.

This becomes important, because you should determine what you like before you make the plunge, understanding what your listening room is like.

If you listen to a fair amount of music (like me) you may prefer direct radiator type speakers.

IMO I prefer speakers that don't add additional reflected sound, but your preferences may differ.

BruceD

John H

Second Unit
The dealer told me that the subs in the towers needed no separate sub which I would like to believe to avoid the expense, but do not want to "miss out" on the experience that true bass can add.
You will be missing out if you don't add an external subwoofer/s to the Def Tech powered towers if you listen to allot of movie material.
I use a pair of BP2000TL's highpassed at 40Hz and roll the lows into a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's and two Buttkicker tactile transducers.
John

Hubert

Second Unit
I have BP3000s and I still use a Velodyne HGS-18 for frequencies below 30Hz. For the smaller Def Techs, I would definitely recommend and external sub. As for Def Tech versus M&K, you really can get much more different unless you wanted to compare Def Techs to electrostatics. This will come down strictly to preference.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I own DefTech 2000TL's and I justified the cost because my wife did not want an external sub in the room. (I now have an external SVS, but thats a different story. :))
The subs in the DefTech towers are quite good. Not outstanding, but quite good.
But you have to realize that having subs in the L/R speakers vs a nearly identical external sub, the external sub will usually sound better. This is because the external sub can be placed in a more optimal location for bass response. (Reflections from a wall plays a large part in how bass sounds in a room).
You wont miss out on bass with the DefTech speakers, but you can always add an external sub later.
Def Tech vs M&K - The M&K speakers are quite good, but for movies I feel the DefTech speakers are superior. If you can pull the DefTech's 2-3 feet into the room, it will really help your living room sound like a big theater. The direct-radiator M&K's dont do nearly as good a job.
And while DefTech's main business is home theater speakers, M&K made it's name in subwoofers for production studios. They branched out to the home market and added in the other speakers to help sell their subs with a tie-in to THX. When I tried to contact them a few years ago, it was clear that if you did not represent a production studio, they were not really interested in talking to you. This industry focus may be why your dealer has stopped carrying the line.
2006 vs 2002 - You MUST get the 2002 CLR center speaker. It was this speaker that sold me on DefTech.
I've not compared the 2002 vs the 2006 towers so I'm afraid I cannot help you with this. I DID originally purchase 2002 towers and through a long series of problems wound up with 2000's.
Just remember: the Center is the most important speaker (100% of the sound). The L/R only produces sound 40-70% of the time depending upon the movie.
Let your music-pattern decide this. If you hardly listen to music, go with the cheaper 2006's. But if you listen to music a bit, get the 2002's.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks