Just another question (connections)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ron.T, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

apoligize ahead of time as I am sure this has been covered before, but I did a search and could not find any info about it.
    I am putting together a new HT system and I want to do it right, but I am trying to make it easy for my wife to use also, which brings me to this question. I picked up a optic digital cable last night and connected it between my DVD player and my Sony DA2ES. It works great. Most of the time, when my wife watches a DVD, she only has the tv on and not the AV receiver, so I also have the analog audio connected to the tv. A few days ago I think I remember a question similar to this one. I have the settings on the DVD player set to digital signals. I thought I remembered reading that if you listened to the analog signal on the receiver with the settings on the DVD set to digital, that you could damage something. There may be times when she turns on the receiver to Video1 which is the tv and what ever is playing on it(maybe DVD). Will this damage anything? I hope you guys understand my question and it is not overly stupid.

Thanks, Ron

2. NikoVarsan

NikoVarsan Auditioning

Only stupid questions are those unasked. To the best of my knowledge it won't hurt anything, but my dvd player won't produce sound if I have it set to digital out and try to use the receiver. I also have mine connected with an optical cable, and my sony receiver gives me the option to assign the input to digital, so thats the only source it will play when set to dvd. Hope this helps some. If all else fails, check your manual. They can be helpful.
    Niko

3. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

I think maybe you mean if both signals are input at the same time it would damage your system, providing that doesn't happen then it would be fine. I don't see any reason why it would not work with your current setup.

[​IMG]