What's new

Just another one of those what would you do threads. (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I'm driving myself crazy trying make up my mind here so I'll ask what would you do?
My wife has told me that after Christmas I can get a new tv that I've been after for awhile (Sony KP-57WS500 or KP-57WV600) & a new DVD player. But heres my dilemma I cant make up my mind if I wont to do this or upgrade to a separate amp (Outlaw 770) using my current DA5ES as a pre-amp & get a new sub & sub amp also.
I've been wonting to get a big screen for some time now so I would really like to get that but, at the same time I just cant resist the temptation for more power & bass.
I will also be adding a Monster HTPS700 power center to my set up but I will be getting this either way I go.
I just cant quit driving myself nuts with this as I cant have it all in one shot so one or the other will get put off until probably this time next year.

So what would you do if you had these options? Do you think the impact of the big screen would be more worth it or improving on SQ by adding a separate amp & a new sub & sub amp.

Right know I have a Sony 36" 250XBR tv, Sony DVP-C650D DVD player, Sony STR-DA5ES receiver, Polk CS400i center, RT55i mains, RT55i front surrounds,& RT55i rear surrounds,& my sub is a 270 liter sono tuned to 17hz & using a 15" Dayton DVC sub & PE 250watt plate amp.
Thanks for any of your opinions. Joe

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

yes. If it were me I'd go for the big picture. You already have an excellent soundsystem and I think upgrading the picture would have a bigger impact.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Go with the bigger TV. You can always add pieces to the audio portion later without having to obsolete a $2000 device.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I think your balance between audio and video "impact" already is heavily tilted toward audio.

ymmv, but I strongly believe you'll get more bang for the buck from upgrading to a 57" widescreen tv.

The image on a largish widescreen HD-ready rptv from a progressive scan player is very much closer to looking at actual projected film than anything you could achieve with a direct-view set. The difference is more than just the size of the picture. The crts in rptvs don't need shadow masks (or in the Sony's case aperture grilles) so resolution can be considerably higher.

You'll feel like your watching a movie, not a movie on tv, is the best way I can describe the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks