Just another one of countless newbs that need a little advice(kinda long)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd*Sa, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Hello everyone. I can't say I am a complete newb because I knew a little something about home audio before I came here and read the FAQ's and about 20 pages here in the forum! But my knowledge is still quite small compared to most of you guys. Might as well get started...

I am getting a new 32" TV (not HD) and a surround sound system. This system is just for my basement, where I will mostly be playing Xbox and watching some DVD's. My fiancee has put me on quite a tight budget, understandably, since it is just going to be the basement system. I have a TOTAL budget of about $800. I have pretty much decided on a TV already that costs $400 and has 1 component in, 1 S-video and plenty of composite connections.

Just by reading a few posts here I know you guys do not like HTiB, but this is pretty much all my budget will allow, and it is not going to be a primary system(well it kind of is for now until we upgrade our family room stuff later). So please don't tell me how bad they are and not to do it.

That being said, I want to get the very most bang for my buck. Here is how I picture my setup in my mind:
    1)Cable box to be hooked up using composite video
    2)Xbox to be hooked up using s-video and digital optical(will be my DVD player also since I do not need prog. scan)

Here is the system that I narrowed it down to after a little looking around: Kenwood HTB-206. It has all the connections I need, is 600 watts(manuf. rated BS!), and looks pretty decent. I like this system also because it has a dedicated receiver, not a DVD/receiver.

Does anyone have a better suggestion or any insight? I know I am not buying a top of the line system but I am still putting down the money and would like to get all I can. Right now my total with my TV,HT,Xbox DVD kit, Xbox advanced AV pack, and digital optical cable I have about $775 spent. I can go over a little, but I really don't want to push it much with the fiancee!

BTW, to get complete specs on the Kenwood system just go to Best Buy's website and go to home theaters, it will be near the bottom of the first page.

Thanks for any constructive input everyone![​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Ah, the old fiancee says you can only spend this much money story. One of these days I know I'm going to run into that guy who wrote the book "Men are From Mars Grease up Uranus" in Mexico and it's not going to be a pretty sight. Like the men ever tell the women honey, you really ought to buy your makup at the Dollar Store, we're on a budget you know. OK I feel better now.

Are you saying that your total budget for the Xbox, TV, HT, etc. is $800? If so, it'll be tough but not impossible. I believe Sound & Vision, back issues of which can be found at your local library, has reviewed HTIB setups. You might want to head down there and see what they have to say about some recommended ones. For a little blurb on HTIB click here. Also make the rounds of a few stores in your area to see if there's any open box sets going inexpensively or possibly something at the various discount online places like www.overstock.com or www.refurbdepot.com or over at OneCall to name a few. Don't rush this too much but do a little research and I'm sure you'll get something that will be pretty satisfying.

3. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

LOL^^^^^
    No, I already have the Xbox. My budget is for the TV@$400, DVD remote for Xbox@$30, advanced AV pack for Xbox@$20, digital optical cable@$25, and HT. That puts me at a total of $475 with about $325 left to spend. I might be able to spend a LITTLE more but not much, as I said I don't want to push my luck!

Thanks for the links I am getting ready to check them out and I will also check the library at Devry tonight when I go, they shocked me at all the back issues of magazines they had the one time I checked it out.

At this point I would prefer to get a system that does not have a DVD player bundled with it, simply because I do not need a progressive scan player, and I will spend less money on cables.

Thanks for the info!

4. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

While i'm at it, does anyone know of a good local place to go here in Columbus, Ohio, to find a good deal on a system. (other than Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.)

5. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

I just found an Onkyo HTS660 for $440 on globalsupersale.com. Has anyone ever done business with them? Anyone have any opinions on this system?

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please ask for specific HTiB model recommendations here in A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

7. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Sorry about that, I thought I had found the forum which applies!

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Todd,

the Onkyo looks great! I thought the model# looked familiar so did a (Normal) search on the search page - it's been talked about quite a few times example here

BTW, check Bizrate or epinions - some places are selling below 400

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

And get your ass over to the library too!!!

10. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Thank you FeisalK, but I just happened to find it on sale at HH Gregg for $359. I was not able to find any mags yet, but I have spent many hours here and other places on the web and I feel pretty confident now going with the Onkyo. It seems to have the best receiver/speakers for the money. I thank you guys very much for all the help and links! I will post my very unprofessional opinion of the system in a couple weeks, and then I will also test the theory that after a month or so after the "newness" of the system wears off that I will not be as happy with the sound.

But before all that I will have to figure out the best way to set all the speakers up and such. But that is for a different forum! By the way I really love how the mods here are so professional in keeping the right subjects in the right forum![​IMG] Nice job.

11. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

12. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Those do look nice but quite a bit to large for my application. Plus if I spend $260+shipping on those I don't think I will be able to get a good receiver with what I will have left to spend.

On a side note, does anyone know how much speaker wire the satellites have on this system? Also does this system come with anything to mount the rear speakers? This seems to be info that no websites, including the manufacturer, have.

13. Charlie B. Ch.

Charlie B. Ch. Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend that you get a decent receiver first like this Panasonic digital 5.1 receiver and only get one pair of speakers to use as main initially. When budget subsequently permits then buy the other matching center and surrounds.

14. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Well Charlie, that is what I would normally do, but as I stated, this is just a system for the basement, not my primary viewing room. My intent right now is to get the best complete package for the money I have and get immediate 5.1 gratification. When I redo my family room is when I will be looking to make a more noteworthy HT purchase.

I also just heard my friend's new setup. He bought a 50" LCD and the Onkyo 6.1 HTiB. If the HTS660 sounds almost as good, I nor my fellow basement dwellers will have any complaints[​IMG]

15. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Todd, glad you found a cheaper place (factored in shipping?)

actually I haven't been able to find a decent review of the 660 - just snippets here and there in HTF of people saying its a decent system.. so when you get yours we'd like to hear about it, given the application (basement secondary system)

happy listening!

16. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

I will make sure to let you guys know what I think of them. And I don't have to worry about shipping, I have a local HH Gregg. The only thing I do have to worry about now is trying to haul a 32" TV in 93 Cobra hatchback! Not a very good combo if you ask me!

17. Charlie B. Ch.

What about this Onkyo package? Looks like a reasonable deal.

18. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Wow Charlie! That is a hell of a deal! I am definetely going to look into that! Thanks a lot.

UPDATE: I just checked the shipping rate and they want almost $150 to ship it ground! This is no more than a $40 package! It is still a good deal at $400, but I still just hate it when a company gives you a low sticker price and then makes up for it in "shipping".

19. Charlie B. Ch.

Todd, sorry about that. I thought that the free shipping advertised applies to everything. $150 shipping cost is totally ridiculous.

20. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Not your fault at all! Like I said, I still think it is a good deal but they should probably advertise the price for the system as $350, then add $50 shipping. That would be more respectable and honest.