Just another "help me with a sub" thread.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason GT, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I don't really like these kinds of posts, cuz they're so subjective. [​IMG]
    It's almost subwoofer time. Here's what some relevant info:
    -large room (12'*35' or so, but only about 12'*15' is HT area; unfinished basement with carpet in the HT area)
    -mostly HT use; probably 75/25 HT/Music
    -mains, center and surrounds are bookshelves which get down to about 65 Hz
    -I would like a sub which provides *clean*, *tight* bass, preferably with extension to upper 20s or about 30 Hz at least. Extreme volume is not necessary, and boominess is not desired.
    I could fairly easily check out:
    Paradigm PDR-10
    PSB Alpha Subsonic 5
    Klipsch KSW 10
    Any opinions subs like these and near this pricerange? Please don't say "SVS" to me [​IMG] -- it's not really practical.
    Also, what is the best way to audition a sub?
    Thanks in advance.
    J

2. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

ONe day i would like to read about someone looking for mushy unclean loose crappy bass..'[​IMG]'. I have a PSB sub that i bought years ago on ebay...it retailed for 1100 bucks, and i think i paid 150 for it...its just a box with a driver and a sub amp...nothing magical and the sound is WEAK...so what i'm saying is get familiar with the work DIY!!!

3. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Well, fine. [​IMG]
    But I guess the most relevant part of my post would be: willing to trade off volume for accuracy.
    That's possible isn't it?

4. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I assume the reason you regard SVS as impractical is because you're in Canada, and ordering them there is more expensive and involved.

On the other hand, being in Canada means that makes like Paradigm are much more affordable. I don't think something as small as the PDR-10 is going to do a lot for you in such a huge space, though.

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

What a great excuse to push this thread up again [​IMG]
    Yes, SVS is impractical due to geography. It's also impractical because I cannot really justify spending more on a sub than I would on a TV or AVR (yeah, it's budget HT time).
    That said... reading up further has led me to believe that my room isn't *too* large. Will 10" sub results be acceptable in my listening area?

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Jason, your room is approximately 12 * 35 which means it's approximately 420 sq feet and if this has a low average height of 8' then we're talking 3360 cubic feet which means THX Ultra standards if you want to reproduce sound at theater reference levels. Now if we use this to approximate what some manufacturers consider a minimum performance, then if we were talking about a pair of Citation 7.4 would be required to meet the bass need of such a room (oh btw, this would be a pair of 15" subs). No I don't think a 10" will do unless if you've never heard or owned a previous sub for comparison then it might.