What's new

just another component selection question (1 Viewer)

KevinVM

Agent
Hi,

As having let the HT world pass me by years ago, I am thinking of jumping back in. I currently do not own a receiver that has any ht capabilities and am asking the forum for some advice as to what I can use and what is useless. My current components are:

Rotel RTC-940Ax Tuner/Preamp

Rotel RB980BX Power Amp

NHT 1.1 pair

Mirage BP150 Powered Sub

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and arent really looking to spend a ton. Thanks!!

Kevin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome :D
I am not familiar with that particular pre/pro or amp, but I am guessing the amp is 2ch only, since there are only the 2 mains. Based on that, I would see what Rotel's most recent pre/pros are, pick up a 5ch amp that will give you the flexibility to do 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, keep the 2ch for the mains, and fill in the rest of the speakers. I have listened to, and like, most of the current offerings from NHT, particularly the SB2 and SB3 bookshelfs. Take a browse in the receiver/separates/amps forum - Do a search in that forum for Rotel or 1066, but there are some recent threads on the first page already. Good luck.

KevinVM

Agent
I looked at possibly a rotel ht unit but it was prohibitivly expensive- well over 800. I believe you are correct about the amp, It is stereo but also has the capability of bridged mono. This is an older system..I believe I purchased the NHT's in 94..The rest soon after.

KevinVM

Agent
Thanks for the replies,

I will admit, my knowledge is limited as to whats available now, but I would like to get something thats decent but dont need to compete with the studio complex. I was hoping to use the speakers I have for rears maybe and the sub is still useful I assume. Im just not sure If I can afford to go with rotel equipment or even what I would look at in rotel. Or am I better off going with a HT receiver(such as a Denon 1602-1802). To be honest, I understand that the seperate component gives you much more flexibility but is quite confusing to the novice(such as myself)

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Kevin,

You're very unlikely to be able to find any new sepaates that will cost less than $800. Typical prices are more in the vicinity of $1,000 and up each for a preamp/processor and for a multichannel amp. (i.e. $2000 or more for both.)

As you've found, Rotel equipment tends to be relatively expensive. The Denon models you've mentioned have had good reviews. You also might want to consider slightly older (or used) models. You should be able to get better quality for a lower price if you don't need the latest bells and whistles. In particular, if you don't feel Dolby ProLogic II and support for rear center channels (called Dolby Digital-EX and DTS-ES) are essential, you should be able to find some bargains.

I hope this helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks