Just another brand new SVS owner thread!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike_Morgan, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan Stunt Coordinator

Yup, same old story, but I had to post my short story.[​IMG] I was on a tight budget after dreaming about an SVS for quite some time now. I decided to go with a 20-39PCi as to not get killed by my wife for spending too much $. Well I happened upon a b-stock the night that I was to order so I added a subhuman t-shirt to the order. I received the sub today as expected. The box nearly didn't fit on my small porch. lol I got it inside and unpacked it carefully. Sitting in the middle of the living room floor I couldn't believe how much bigger 16" in diameter actually LOOKS than it sounds. I immediately thought, "Damn, she ain't gonna like this at all."

Well, I got it hooked up and actually calibrated first thing before watching the popular bass scenes that I own. The first thing that I watched was the THX intro on Episode II. WOW was that great! I checked most of the other scenes of mine and was blown away! Boy was I missing a TON of bass with my little Sony WM40.

I put on the depth charge scene from U571 and went outside to see if I could hear it outside the house. My wife pulled up as I was outside. She got out of her truck and said, "What the hell? The windows are rattling!" [​IMG] She walked in and didn't notice it sitting in the corner at first. As she came out of the kitchen she noticed it and yelled, "WHAT THE F*** IS THAT???" She doesn't like it since it's so damn big, but she'll live. [​IMG] I love it! Now to watch all of my movies again to see what I've been missing! Thanks SVS!!!

Mike

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Funny stuff! Thanks for the brief review. I too dream of SVS and right now I have 2 sony 12" and would probably get the 20-39pci or plus. Glad to know how much of an improvement there is.

3. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

nice story.. Enjoy your sub..

4. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

5. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

David,

I did not own the Sony SAWM40 prior to an SVS (I have heard it though), but I do own what I think is a comparable "budget" sub, the Velodyne VX-10. I can speak a bit to the difference between a sub such as this and an SVS.

By the way, I have an SVS PB1-ISD, the entry-level box sub comparable to the 25-31pci. Anyway, in short, there is a big difference between an SVS and one of the budget subs. While the Sony and Velodyne perform quite well in their own right, and are not way too boomy for music, and carry a punch for movies, there really is no comparison to the SVS.

With the budget subs, you can certainly hear and feel the bass. But with the SVS, you literally feel the bass going through, around, under, over... you. The SVS is just so tight and powerful, that the budget subs can't compare. Now, you are talking a pretty big price difference. At around $550 for the 25-31pci and $599 for the PB1-ISD, you're talking around a minimum $400 price difference between that and the budget subs. It's obviously up to the individual how much they're willing to spend for the improvement.

From a HT perspective, there is just no comparison. The SVS is capable of so much powerful, clean low bass that the budget subs just can't produce. It is hard to describe, but you'll know it when you feel it. From a music perspective, the difference is a bit more subtle but still noticeable. For example, on the first track of Massive Attack Mezzanine (CD), there are repetitive low bass thumps. With the SVS, this is just tighter, lower and stronger. The better budget subs are really good performers, but I think an SVS is just in a different league.

6. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Congrats on your new sub! [​IMG] I've also made the Big Leap into the "hi-end" (for me anyway!) world and bought an SVS...should ship soon.

Yeah, the WAF is a real burden sometimes. I have the answer. See below. [​IMG]

Best of luck getting her to go shopping so you can stay home and watch movies the way they were meant to be: LOUDLY. [​IMG]

7. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Jeffrey. Velodyne seems to be a well regarded sub so if the Svs is that much better I hope to get one some day.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 16-46 pc or pc+. I'm going to have to wait for my tax return to get it though so I am looking at March or April at the earliest. Ah well. I guess good things come to those who wait. : )

8. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

you are right David, good things come to those who wait. I've been waiting for such a long time to get a true sub, that I say now thank god I waited because I didn't know about SVS before becoming a member of this forum, and I was just about to spend like $800 on the HSU VTF-3, and then saw and ad in the Audioreview.com site about SVS, and after doing quite an extensive research, I changed my mind, and am so glad I did; today I got a notice that my PB2-Plus has been shipped!, according to what many members have to say about SVS, no matter what model, I already know that I've made the right choice. HSU must be really good too but I feel more comfortable with SVS, period.

9. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

To go with the post Mike started.

I got my new SVS 25-31 PC+ delivered last night from the nice lady in those big brown trucks.

I rushed inside to open this thing up. First off, I like the way the box is designed with the foam inserts to keep the cylinder from moving around. Much better than a box full of peanuts.

I removed the sub from the box and plastic wrap. Placed the sub in its new home/corner and stepped back. Holy Crap I thought, that thing is huge [​IMG] (And I got the small one :b).
    I then read the instruction manual and ran the receiver test tones and used the radio shack meter to set to 75hz. I am glad I read the instructions as it recommended setting the sub level to -5db on my receiver to start with. After this quick setup was complete I didn't want to mess around trying to super fine calibrate it, I wanted to hear what everyone has been talking about, that SVS Grin (The SVS replaced an Infinity BU2).

I put on some music really quick. It was strange, You could not even tell I had a sub hooked up but you could tell there was some nice smooth bass that blended very well, much better already than the old sub. But enough playing around, I was in a hurry, as I had to go pick up the wife. I put in Matrix Reloaded as it was sitting right there and went to some quick action scenes. I could not believe how low and clear this thing goes. My buddy and I stepped outside to see how bad it was for the neighbors
    [​IMG] [​IMG] and we got a quick laugh as we found out my neighbors are going to hate me [​IMG]. In five minutes with the SVS, I had already forgotten about the good old Infinity BU2 I have had for 8 years.

After the quick reloaded test I had to go get the wife. She knew I was getting a new sub of course but had no idea which sub I was getting. Picked her up got home, I was expecting the "WTF is that thing" line but she did not say a word about it, except asking if I was happy with it.

I tried to play another movie scene real quick to test out the new goods but the wife walked by with that its 10:30PM stare on a weekday. So I just put in a CD at low volume.

Anyway I know I have some more tweaking to do with this new toy. I want to try the port blockers, I want to setup the sub via the Digital Video Essentials or S&V disc, maybe move it around a little to find that sweet spot etc... With what I have heard already, I know I made the right choice for my system and I will definitely be recommending SVS to friends in the future.

I did not realize how much of an effect a really good subwoofer could have on your system. I'd like to thank Erik at SVS for all his help as well as others I have talked to about the SVS subs (Gordon Groff, Michael Trotter, Jerry Fife)

A few setup questions.
    How far away from the wall/corner should this be? I am a little confused on the phase knob (I left it a 0). How far up do you guys have the volume on your sub, mine is set maybe about 1/3 at this point. I left the crossover off as well. What Hz setting do you have your sub at 75, 85, somewhere in between?

10. Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan Stunt Coordinator

David,

The SVS is quite a step above the Sony. I kinda concur with Jeffrey R about it being a bit more of a subtle difference with music than movies. I first tested movies once I had mine cal'd. The SVS just goes so much lower than the Sony with so much more clarity it makes a huge difference. The intro to Toy Story 2 is crazy. The pod race scene in TPM, depth charges in U571, etc. I have to watch all of my movies over again just to see what I've missed out on. Don't worry about making a bad decision. Getting an SVS to replace the Sony is a good move!

BTW guys, the wife truely didn't like the large cylinder of the PCi, so I contacted SVS about returning it and exchanging for a PB1-ISD. I placed a new order for the PB1 and will be shipping the PCi back when the PB1 gets delivered. I just wish I had the $ to go with the PB2-ISD! lol

Mike

11. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator