What's new

Just added some Aura Bass Shakers..... (1 Viewer)

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Well with the cost of Aura bass shakers at PE I just couldnt resist. So I bought 4 pairs of the standard shakers. when we move into the new house I am going to install them in the sectional and recliner that will go in the HT room but for now I have installed 4 of them in a couch in our makeshift HT in the bassment of our current house. they are being feed by a 100w PE plate amp. After I got them setup and adjusted properly I went ahead and popped in T3 and played the chase scene with the mobile crane and all I remember was wondering how much bigger the grin on my face could get!! I just simply cant describe the difference. there is no way to get an idea of how much of a difference these things make in the movie watching experiance without actually experiancing it yourself. I woudl recommend that anyone who is serious into HT should consider these as a peice of their system. IMO there isnt anything that you could do for such a small price that makes such a big difference. I also believe that by going with these you could also save money on a sub. at this time (until i get my current sub project done) I am running a single 12" Dayton Quatro with a 200w plate amp but with the addition of the shakers I would have seriously been tricked into thinking I was running a Tumult. So if your budget is tight I would say go with a smaller sub and add a pair or 2 of these shakers.

4 out of 4 IMO
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Question -

If I have all speakers as small, and my AVR cutoff is 100, my LFE out is then carrying all 5.1

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Well I do know exactly what you are talking about. I did an experiment with that exact situation. I tuned the xover on the plate amp all the way to the highest frequency and tried using the 80hz lfe output as the only xover. And as you said there were alot of upper bass notes that were picked up by the shakers that didnt sound good and were rather annoying. So I actually found that it sounded best when I turned the xover on the plate amp to the lowest setting which happend to be 40hz. with that setting there were virtually no unwanted vibrations, only those that were very low and ment to rumble seemed to come through.

I also know that I found that if you really cranked the gain up it also got very annoying. I actually found that it is much better if you make it so that the shakers truly blend in with the subwoofer and in doing that you actually create a very subtle effect but it goes miles in the wow factor. basically if you make it obvious that there is somthing attached to the furniture that is making it shake then it just feels fake and kinda cheesy. but when you adjust it properly and it blends in with the level of the sound then you truly are tricked into thinking that the subwoofer is producing all the effect. it is really quite mind blowing once setup properly.

Jason_RoyH

Auditioning
Well I'm using 4 (or was it 6?) of the standard bass shakers in my "HT" which is actually my bed room. I have the shakers mounted to the bottom of the box spring under my bed. They're running off the LFE output of my reciever at 100Hz. I don't notice any low voice or any other high bass problems but I'm sure the mattres filters alot of that out.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
quote: "I have the shakers mounted to the bottom of the box spring under my bed. "

Now you need to find one of those coin boxes from a cheesy motel.... yark yark.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I had 6 Auras in my couch for some time, I agree they make a difference, and there great at night so you can still have the feeling of bass without the volume turned up to loud.

Now I have the Clark Synthesis Gold's in my new setup, with a dedicated programmable channel that has its own crossover and a selectable percentage of mix for each of the 5.1 channels, these can be directed to this "Bass Shaker channel. With the crossover programmed to 30Hz and this mix recipe (below), I get great effects that blend and disappear much better then the Aura's. The Clark's cost more then there worth in reality, but that fact that they will go down to 5Hz allows you to set them up to only kick in when the lows really go subsonic. The Auras will only go down to 30Hz but they are a true bargain and well worth the effort, just not true tactile transducers.

Recipe
Fronts 45%
Center 50%
Rears 0%
LFE 100%

The mix can be changed on the fly on the Halo C2 aux programmable channels. The level is also independent, and it has its own delay to sync with the subs..

This setup I really like and works just as well for music, it never kicks in until the real lows hit, and it’s seamless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks