What's new

just accidentally bought this receiver on ebay (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Denon AVR-2802

got it for $400

i hope this works out. i'm wondering if i should retract the bid and let the seller know that i didn't mean to purchase this item when i was checking out the specs. i'm looking to get a good DVD/CD changer (which will mostly be used for CDs, so i want to make sure it's a quality CD player foremost), and some speakers. i'd like to keep my total budget under $1500. i have several other threads on this main page...feel free to give me advice and help me build around this new receiver

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if you retract the bid you will get negative feedback from the seller which will make it more difficult for you to buy or sell on ebay. I guess it will turn on whether you need this receiver or if you are willing to get negative feedback. Like they say, don't bid if you don't want to buy. The decision is up to you.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Actually retracting the bid has no impact on feedback. The only thing that can result in negative feedback is non-payment.

Yogi

Screenwriter
The 2802 is a great receiver. I have its older brother the 3802 and have listened to the 2802 extensively and found it to be a great receiver. You will love its warm musical sound. I think the price is also fair for this receiver. It will mate with a varietly of speakers unlike many bright receivers that will only mate with warm laid back sounding speakers.

The 2802 would mate well with Paradigm speakers which are a good value for the price.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
How the hell does one accidently bid on something? You have like 2 comformation screen before the final bid goes thru.:cool:

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Ummm - once an auction ends, no bids can be retracted by any bidder. If a bidder refuses to pay, negative feedback most certainly can be given, at the sellers descretion. Likewise, the buyer can give negative feedback to the seller.

Don't bid unless you're serious about buying something. It's not a game. I assume you got this for a good price. I suggest paying up, and then if you don't want it, resell it - you might even make a profit.

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
Also note that you can usually make a deal with the seller if you don't want negative feedback. You can figure up how much it costed him to post the auction and then send that to him if he agrees to post positive feedback. I've changed my mind before and had to pay like 5 or 6 bucks for an 80 dollar item I changed my mind on but got postitive feedback out of it and didn't have to waste 80 bucks.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I don't know where you got this two confirmation screen deal from. I've bought 10 items on ebay so far and if you are new it's very easy to make a bid inadvertantly or type in a wrong amount, i.e $99 vs .99.
Two confirmation screens?!!? On ebay!?! I guess I'll have to pay more attention next time :rolleyes

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I've done my share of ebaying and that "you're bidding $99 on X item, click here to confirm" screen is kinda hard to miss.......

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i'd never done ebay before. i thought "buy it now" was some sort of service that you can register for, like paypal or whatever it is. i didn't know it literally meant buy the goddamn item right now!

oh well - i'm happy. glad this thread focused on the important information that i was looking for in the original post :emoji_thumbsup:

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Mike, this is a pretty great receiver and I think $400 is still a pretty nice price. I'll make you feel better by telling you that this item sells in my local B&M for $1200 CAD.
Might I suggest that you read the buyers and sellers tips under the Welcome New Users section at the Ebay site.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
i thought "buy it now" was some sort of service that you can register for
don't you understand? Sheesh....give the guy a break...ebay goes out of it's way not to fully explain things. Their goal is to sell items, period and if they further that goal by lack of explanation the better for them. It can be a very intimidating place for a newcomer.

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, directly below EVERY buy it now button there is a link clearly saying Learn about Buy It Now, in bright blue underlined letters. A popup page is opened that has tons of information on exactly what it is.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Whatever ..... bottom line is that I'm just not into slammin' people for making an honest mistake...if it makes you feel better about yourself to make him feel stupid, have at it. ;)

kevitra

Second Unit
Actually, the Buy-It-Now directions are only shown at the bottom of the page, not at the first Buy-It-Now button you encounter.

Users who are viewing this thread