What's new

Just about to pull the trigger when.... (1 Viewer)

I was all set to order the Denon AVR-1802 when it dawned on me that it had no Component video. I am in the beginning stages of setting up a HT and will need the compnent video to get the results I want. I can step up to the 2802 but since I am re-thinking this anyway are there any other reccomendations?? A local dealer her in Minneapolis is offering the Sony STR-DB1070 for $499.00. Any thoughts on that??

Thanks

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Can you wait until the new Onkyos come out? The new Onkyo 600 should have the features you're looking for. When it comes you should be able to get it for about $400. Go to www.onkyousa.com for more details.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,

Exactly what is your motivation to wire component video through the receiver? I'm just curious, for two reasons: first, if your DVD player is your only component source, running it through the receiver does little good except to double your cabling cost. If you think you'll have multiple component sources in the future, more than likely most HT quality TV's will also have multiple component inputs as well. Again, you can save overall cable costs and potential signal loss by just cabling directly to the TV. I've also read a thread or two here about the potential problems trying to run HDTV signals through component connections on receivers, which don't have the frequency range to pass an HDTV signal. This could make the whole point mute (particularly in the future), because you'll have to direct cable anyway or upgrade your receiver.

The only reason I could find for myself to run component video through the receiver was if your A/V cabinet was located a distance away from your TV/monitor, and you only wanted to purchase one lengthy (read: expensive) component video cable, and simply use short cables in the A/V cabinet. To each their own, of course, but I certainly wouldn't use this as the deciding factor over an otherwise "quality" receiver unless you had an absolute need for it. I'd focus instead on build quality and audio quality.

Rich

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I agree, run your video direct, if you can. Just remember the Denon requires(on most models) a video hook up to use the stupid set up. Oh well! If you have two selectable inputs on your TV, you are in business. Even some SAT rcvrs have a vcr input you could use for your menu.:D Wow, why didn't I do that? Time to run more wires!
And if you can get a bigger and better rcvr for the same bucks with out the component inputs you are better off.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks