Just a little help on setting up my Sony DE875 receiver.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Stevens, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Frank Stevens

Frank Stevens Auditioning

Ok. I bought the video on Home Theater Setup. I have speakers in a 5.1 surround sound setup. I have a Sony NS400D DVD player connected through a composite cable for video and the optical cable for sound. When I run through the setup DVD and it goes to test the DTS settings, nothing plays through the speakers. I just noticed that when I play a movie, the Dolby Digital light on the reciever doesn't come on either. Am I missing something here? I have picture, I have sound, just not in 5.1 or DTS. I set the receiver to different settings, but still nothing.
    I want to cry. [​IMG]
    I know computers, I can hook up a complicated WAN/LAN network in my sleep. I don't know home theater.
    help?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You may have to fiddle with the dvd player's menu to get it to select the digital 5.1 tracks. My 2nd gen Sony was said to be "automatic" in this function, but it doesn't seem to work reliably.

Good Luck

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

These suggestions may or may not help.

1. For DTS sound, you may have to go into your DVD player's audio setup menu and turn on the DTS bitstream. Most DVD players have this feature off by default.

2. Many discs, especially older ones defaulted to Dolby Stereo. You need to go into the audio setup of the disc and physically choose the 5.1 track contained on the disc. Also note that on Sony receivers if a film is not encoded in 5.1 (many films from the early 90s and earlier are DD 2.0), the 5.1 light will not come on. This light only comes on during DD 5.1 and Mono presentations on Sony receivers.

J

4. Frank Stevens

Frank Stevens Auditioning

WOOOHOOOO! Success! I'm a dunce for not even looking to see if my DVD player has a setup menu. Didn't even dawn on me to look. :b

Anyhow, I went into the DVD player setup, told it I was using a digital sound connection (it was setup for components) and now I get my wonderful 5.1 (and virtual 6.1) DTS, Dolby Digital, you name it. I am a happy man. The difference is so noticeable.

Thank you guys!

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Aw, shucks...:b