What's new

Jurassic World: Dominion (June 10, 2022) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Atrociraptor?

:rolling-smiley: :rolling-smiley: :rolling-smiley:

Maybe this is the JP film that will finally jump the shark completely.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
They really like having him ride a motorcycle in precarious places.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Are they telling us the animal commits atrocities? Does he wear a swastika as well?
That reminds me of when McBain was under attack by Commie-Nazis.

Commie Nazis - TV Tropes

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
“Atrociraptor is a genus of dromaeosaurid theropod dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous of Alberta, Canada. The type specimen of Atrociraptor, holotype RTMP 95.166.1, was discovered by Wayne Marshall in 1995, in layers of the Horseshoe Canyon Formation also containing an Albertosaurus bonebed, near Drumheller.” Wikipedia

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
“Atrociraptor is a genus of dromaeosaurid theropod dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous of Alberta, Canada. The type specimen of Atrociraptor, holotype RTMP 95.166.1, was discovered by Wayne Marshall in 1995, in layers of the Horseshoe Canyon Formation also containing an Albertosaurus bonebed, near Drumheller.” Wikipedia
Neil just zinged us with ten seconds of research. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Get all you hate out guys. Flush it out. Then maybe you can go find another film you haven’t seen to hate. I know, we need separate threads titled “Movie Name Here-For the Haters” and “Movie Name Here-For Those that Want to Discuss.”

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Get all you hate out guys. Flush it out. Then maybe you can go find another film you haven’t seen to hate. I know, we need separate threads titled “Movie Name Here-For the Haters” and “Movie Name Here-For Those that Want to Discuss.”
I look forward to the movie and only joined in because the name Atrociraptor is extremely silly. To the point that I can't believe it's real. Unless Neil is a genius and he made up that Wikipedia quote knowing that I'd be too lazy to check it. :laugh:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
For me, the 2 Jurassic World films so far have been relatively mediocre, but I am looking forward to Dominion to see how they bring back Neill, Dern and Goldblum to finish the trilogy.

For those wondering about "funny" sounding dinosaur names, Atrociraptor does have a Wikipedia entry (as Neil M referenced). If you think that's an odd name, how about this:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I look forward to the movie and only joined in because the name Atrociraptor is extremely silly. To the point that I can't believe it's real. Unless Neil is a genius and he made up that Wikipedia quote knowing that I'd be too lazy to check it. :laugh:
Yeah, I didn't realize making up silly dinosaur names (much like actual scientists, apparently) was "hating" on the film.

Someone needs a candy cane.

1640194558460.png

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Let’s just hope it turns out to be better than the god awful “Fallen Kingdom” though it’s not much of a high bar
Actually, I liked the second one more, less whining kids and women, more and better action.

Unobtanioraptor.
Yeah, that's what killed Avatar for me, so stupid, or maybe a cultural thing I just don't get.

Anyway, looking forward to this, bringing back all the old-timers makes it a bit meta, but still, a dinosaur movie is a dinosaur movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, that's what killed Avatar for me, so stupid, or maybe a cultural thing I just don't get.

Unobtanium?

That’s an actual term scientists and engineers use. They use it when there’s a material that would work perfectly for whatever project they’re on but that material is either unavailable or doesn’t exist - hence the shared root from “unobtainable”.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Unobtanium?

That’s an actual term scientists and engineers use. They use it when there’s a material that would work perfectly for whatever project they’re on but that material is either unavailable or doesn’t exist - hence the shared root from “unobtainable”.
Yeah, even when a term is not made up, some will still dislike it. Can’t please everyone.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Unobtanium?

Yeah, I know that, and since they were mining it, it wasn't actually 'unobtainable', was it?
It was available, it did exist, and they were mining it, so how was it 'unobtainable'?

It sounded like a placeholder term in the script until they though of a good name for it, and then they forgot.
Stupid, and made it (the movie) childish. Not so sure scientists and engineers use it, other than jokingly, like 'automagically', but please prove me wrong.

Obvioulsy cultural, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
'In fiction, engineering, and thought experiments, unobtainium is any hypothetical, fictional, or impossible material'
in the US ... not necessarily in the rest of the world.
So it bugs me, and not you, and that is ok.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Sweet! I keep forgetting another one is coming, and now it’s only 5 months away! W00T! I’m gonna have to rewatch the other two “World” movies soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks