What's new

3D Jurassic Park in IMAX 3-D / Bluray version out soon (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched this at home and found something I hadn't expected: a 3D extra. It's a short feature on the 3D conversion. While it had some good info, it left me wanting much more. This the first 3D extra I've noticed on a 3D release. Are there any others?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Johnny Angell said:
I just watched this at home and found something I hadn't expected: a 3D extra. It's a short feature on the 3D conversion. While it had some good info, it left me wanting much more.This the first 3D extra I've noticed on a 3D release. Are there any others?
I know Life of PI has five deleted scenes - 13 minutes, VFX Progression 13 and 2 minutes, and the 2 minute trailer in 3D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And Disney has put some animated shorts and trailers that were shown in 3D for the last couple of 3D releases (Wreck-It Ralph had Paperman which went on to win the Oscar).

GregK

Screenwriter
A CHRISTMAS CAROL has a nice 3-D featurette on the 3D disc.

PROMETHEUS has a quasi-hidden 3-D trailer hidden on the 2D bonus disc. IIRC, it also had 3D trailers for TITANIC, AVATAR, and I, ROBOT.

I personally think it is a shame more 3-D blurays do not include their stereoscopic 3-D theatrical trailers. Especially when considering they are essentially ready to go and the additional space needed for them is trivial at best.

GregK

Screenwriter
SAM33 said:
You may figure I'm going to be more forgiving than most since I am such a fan, but really I'm probably more picky about 3D than a lot of folks since I've been a life-long collector.
This was really a surprise to me. I like the film well enough, but have seen it plenty and think it certainly has flaws.
However this was like a whole new experience for me, and I had a great, popcorn time watching it with the sound cranked up and just being immersed in the world (and the cg dinos are still about the best use of the medium I've seen).Probably as controversial as colorization, and I have no interest in getting into a whole big argument, but I for one hope they'll do this to at least a few more classic sci-fi and adventure films. Colorization is far from perfect still, but this process is pretty much all the way there.As always, as long as the original versions are available, I see no harm, although I know others may disagree.But I'd LOVE to see the original KING KONG and some Harryhausens put into 3D (seems a natural given the use of dimensional models does it not?), as well as say the original ALIEN and ALIENS.
And as Bob Furmanek has said elsewhere, you could use it to reconstruct films that were ORIGINALLY in 3D but have been lost in that form such as TOP BANANA.
If it can be done this well, I say go for it!
I agree 100% with your take on this, and think with JP really being a "popcorn movie", unlike some other titles, adding 3-D on (and it has been done with thought and care by the original creators) really does help and doesn't seem tacked on at all. If it had been left in the hands of penny pinchers, we could have easily seen a worst case scenario, but thankfully Steven Spielberg insisted on a quality stereoscopic conversion.

GregK

Screenwriter
For those keeping track of who does what 2-D to 3-D conversions:

StereoD, who helped convert TITANIC and JURASSIC PARK, are also responsible for STAR-TREK INTO THE DARKNESS.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So I finally got around to watching this on the weekend. I concur with the assessment that the 3D was stunning in parts, but uneven. Any examples of racking focus resulted in some ghosting on my display, as did the cardinal 3D sin of extreme contrasts (pointing a flashlight directly at the audience. A worthwhile experiment, though, and worth owning.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
GregK said:
PROMETHEUS has a quasi-hidden 3-D trailer hidden on the 2D bonus disc. IIRC, it also had 3D trailers for TITANIC, AVATAR, and I, ROBOT.
I have been able to locate the 3-D trailer for PROMETHIUS, but can't for my life find the other three you mention on any of the discs in the set. If they are part of the "Live" bonus features, then screw it, because I have no intention of hooking my player to the internet. If not, please tell me how to access them. Thanks!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
2 out of 3 of my BD players are hooked up to the internet, and the only reason I haven't hooked up the third is because it's an older model that I would need to hook up to either powerline Ethernet or a wireless bridge/extender. Updating firmware via disc is a pain.

GregK

Screenwriter
Dick said:
I have been able to locate the 3-D trailer for PROMETHIUS, but can't for my life find the other three you mention on any of the discs in the set. If they are part of the "Live" bonus features, then screw it, because I have no intention of hooking my player to the internet. If not, please tell me how to access them. Thanks!
No internet connection needed. It is actually more of a quasi-hidden 3-D easter egg of sorts.

Pop in the 3-D blu "movie only" disc. Once you reach the "Weyland Corp" main menu, you will see the standard Play/Setup/Search options at the bottom of the screen. Ignore those and arrow up to the Weyland "Continue Your 3-D Journey" box at the top left. Once there, you can choose from the three different 3-D trailers: AVATAR, TITANIC, and I, ROBOT.

Oddly, the PROMETHIUS 3-D trailer is missing on this given disc, as it is found on the 2-D bonus disc. I'm not complaining though, as I'm just happy they DID include it in 3-D.

GregK

Screenwriter
Another recent StereoD conversion: PACIFIC RIM

Again- great 3-D conversion, but it may tax certain consumer 3DTV displays..

GregK

Screenwriter
Like most StereoD conversions, the parallax (amount of 3-D) is wider. Wider parallax combined with higher contrast scenes can tax some 3DTVs which do not have cinema grade L/R 3-D cancellation. The result in those cases can be ghosting.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Moe Dickstein said:
Why wouldn't you hook your player up to the internet?
I feel we are already giving corporations enough damn information about ourselves via our computers everyday without helping them do it whenever we want to watch a movie. That's my private time, a literal escape from all the crap I have to deal with the rest of the day, and studios and Netflix and other online services are not invited. I do not stream movies, I do not do digital downloads, I do not use Ultra Violet. I have Blu-rays and DVD's that play for me when I want them to, and that is all I care about insofar as home theater goes. Nobody needs to know what I am watching but me and my audience at home.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I dont think they can track what you're watching on a disc if your player is online. Unless they really are watching us all the time in which case they can probably tell what you're watching anyway from the hidden cameras they have everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks