Jurassic Park: DTS vs. Extras

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Porter, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Which do you think I should buy? Right now my equipment is not ready for DTS even though I know it will someday. Which is the better bang for the buck? And no, I will not get both like some of you greedy people out there [​IMG]

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I don't recall the DD version of Jurassic park having many more extra's than the DTS version. I think the DD may have storyboards and another extra of some sort that the DTS doesn't have. I have the DTS it is one of my favorite sound demo dvd's still.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Just make sure you get the corrected DTS version. Maybe all the ones in the store have this now, I'm not sure.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Get the DTS version... not only is it a GREAT soundtrack, but a MILESTONE (as the first DTS track EVER).
    Plus you aren't really missing THAT much in the way of extras (maybe a featurette or two). The main course is always more important than the side dishes IMHO [​IMG]

5. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

The DTS version has a plain ol' stereo track as well right?

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It has a Dolby 2.0 track... which is Dolby Pro Logic (part of the DVD spec is that you need either a DD track or PCM track)

7. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

Before I owned a receiver capable of decoding dts, I still bought some 'dts-only' titles, knowing that I'd upgrade someday. (As mentioned earlier, all DVDs will have some sort of audio track making it compatible with all setups.) Now that I have the equipment, I'm really glad that I bought the dts versions.

The only very minor annoyance about some dts titles is the fact that the audio selection menus sometimes default on the 2.0 track (why?) and others (I think Jurassic Park does this) assume I'm a total idiot and require me to confirm my choice of the dts audio track.

Jurassic Park's dts DVD audio track is encoded at 754kbps, or half bitrate. It still sounds very good, but I'd rather have had a full bitrate (1509kbps) track and canned those lame 'extras' that they shoved on there.

Getting back to those annoying audio menus, I finally bought my first dts-enabled disc that doesn't require using a menu to change the audio track! Thank you to the people who authored Minority Report for not locking the audio remote button on this DVD.

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The first menu screen on the DTS Jurassic parks is an audio menu screen which prompts you to choose DTS or Dolby surround. I've also read alot about the 754 vs. 1509 bit rate debate, and I think it has more to do with the mix than the bitrate. I have both the corrected DTS JP dvd and the DTS LD, and I personally am hard pressed to hear any real difference between the two. I do notice that the video quality is far better on the DVD.

9. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Now that DTS enabled receivers are becoming more common, more titles are making DTS an on-the-fly selection. Minority Report is of course one of those titles.

10. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

DTS