What's new

Jurassic Park DTS - Phone Number to call (1 Viewer)

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
I mailed mine on 11/22 and haven't heard back yet. Do they send an email confirmation or anything? I just called the number and left a message, I'll see if they call back & confirm. I think I mailed it to the first address posted on page 2, I hope they get it.

With a properly set up system, all the bass is there on the original dts dvd of JP.
Whoever posted the above statement, this simply is NOT true. I have a rocking HT setup, properly calibrated and this DVD had ZERO LFE. It sounded flatter than a pancake. I was shocked because my VHS Prologic version really rocked.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
The earlier production run can be identified by the code number D2R1 on the inside hub. The newer, current version can be identified by the code D2R2 and will contain a red technical grid on the back of the packaging as part of the running change.
Does anyone know for sure that the packaging and labeling practice remains the same a year and a half after the issue arose? I just received my Jurassic Park DTS copy from Columbia House (it was back ordered, so they must've gotten a "new" stock in) and it is the black grid with the D2R1 on the hub. :frowning: I haven't popped it in the player yet to see what the LFE is like, but I'm not too hopeful...
Dan

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
My dts JP package has the red grid, but my disc does NOT have the D2R2 on it. The only similar-style numbers on the hub are M1S1 and M1S3. I bought this about 9 months ago and haven't watched it since then, don't recall what the LFE was like. An old disc in a new package, I dunno?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Can anybody help?? Got a time-stamp where there's big LFE or something? It's hard to tell if something's not there, if you don't know what should be there... Again, definitely no D2R2 or D2R1 on my disc. Thanks.

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, the D2R2 or D2R1 is on the inner ring of the DVD.
UPDATE: I called the number after mailing mine in on 11/22 and the lady who called me back said she remembered my name as she had just mailed it out on Wednesday! She gave me a tracking number and everything. Great Service. :emoji_thumbsup:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Darrell...that's where I looked all right, it's definitely not there (there's M1S1 and M1S3, a 2 and a 22, though nothing right near the PEMC), though the package is the newer one. I will play the disc and try to guess if it's OK...presume if I get some thundering footsteps that it's fine??? You see, this was the very first DVD I bought after getting my first sub, didn't honestly know what to expect re LFE sound at that time but sure do now, haven't watched it since.

Edit: My disc has plenty of LFE, even though "unmarked". After replaying the disc, I recalled the effects, some scenes would have been stupid without them, guess I would have noticed after all...

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, you are right, if you get the thundering footsteps, it is the right one. Actually, you will know during the opening scene where they show the Universal logo, there are a few incredible LFE booms right off the start.

UPDATE: I got my replacement disc yesterday, so it took just 4 weeks and 3 days from the time I mailed it. I tried it and it rocks!

Another cool thing about this disc: It goes straight to the DTS/DD 5.1 selection screen and DTS is the default. After the confirmation that it will ruin your system if you don't have DTS then the movie starts, NO MENU, but there is a Menu if you hit Menu.

I wish more DVD's would be authored in this manner.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
wow 4 weeks to get a dvd replaced :frowning:
I have been doing a A/B comparisance between my Jurassic Park DTS Laserdisc and DTS DVD. My laserdisc copy seems to have deeper, more robust bass than the dvd version. My dvd also does not include DD 5.1 it is a Dolby Surround track. There is a selection for Dolby Digital on the menu but it only plays a standard 2.0 surround mix. In my book that makes the dvd defective so Universal should step up and admit they put out yet another defective product, suprise suprise :angry: . I guess I should call the number and get my dvd replaces. Am not sure I want to go with out my dvd copy for a month. The fact that DD is not really on the disc is no big deal as I do not care for DD. Its just that is is defective. This now after the BTTF feasco only guarenties that I will no longer pre order any Universal releases for any reason! Is 4 weeks the average turn around or have most of you received it much quicker ??

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
PEMC-D2R1

I just want to make sure that the D2R1 is the original pressing that has the problem correct ? If someone can verify this I will be calling the number and leaving a message to get the disc replaced.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Not sure what you mean here. The DD 5.1 track is on a separate release. The dts version package clearly shows it has DD 2.0 only. If the reseller stated the dts version had DD 5.1, then you have a beef, but not with Uni. The replacement disc will not change anything unless your dts track is the defective one.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The DTS track on the dvd seems to be less stout than the laserdisc DTS version I have. The laserdisc version in DTS has deeper bass and the bass is more pronounced. I feel that my dvd is defective after doing an a/b comparisance. My dvd is a D2R1 and if I am correct from reading this thread this is the faulty dvd that should be replaced.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
You definitely do have the defective dts track, according to the posts here. Apparently *some* of the new discs with the corrected track have D2R2 on them, but mine doesn't (nor does it have D2R1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks