Jurassic Park DTS-Is it true repressing has a red technical grid as apposed to black?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny G, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I received mine yesterday & the technical grid on the back is black but my friend says the grid should be red if it's the new pressing.

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Johnny,
    Here in the U.S. I don't think I have seen a DTS version of Jurassic Park on the store shelves since this summer. My local Best Buy hasn't had anything but the Collector's Two-Pack and those are the Dolby versions. Hopefully when JP3 hits the shelves then the DTS version will resurface in greater numbers.
    Brandon Smith
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
    btsmit2@pop.uky.edu

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I have the new pressing and the technical grid on the back is black. The best way to tell the old from the new is to look on the disc itself and look at the inner most grey colored circle. The new pressing will say "PEMC -D2R2". The old pressing says "PEMC -D2R1".

4. John_RK

John_RK Extra

I picked up the new dts version this week at BB. I, too, had heard that red technical grid = new version. In my case, this was true.
    ...and by the way...for those who already own the DD disc and are hesitant to buy this movie again (like me), go for it! I've owned the DD version since it was first introduced, and I've always enjoyed it, but my SVS absolutely LOVES this new dts pressing.

5. MikeCD

MikeCD Stunt Coordinator

I waited until I could get the new DTS copy and am very glad I did 'cause it ROCKS! The grid is red, not the words, the lines around the words are red. Plus the inner hub indeed reads D2R2.

6. Paul James

Paul James Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I am in Australia and have the current DD - Region 1 version. I have been trying to get a copy of the new DTS version online but have so far been unsuccessful. If anyone in the States or Canada can help me get a copy I'd be more than appreciative. I can pay via paypal or online banking.
    Thanks,
    Paul.

7. Robert Payne

Robert Payne Auditioning

I want the new DTS pressing. However, I have re-purchased this title twice now and keep getting the D1R2 version. Since there is really no foolproof way of identifying the disc prior to opening the package, I am reluctant to buy it yet again.

8. MikeCD

MikeCD Stunt Coordinator

Robert, read the posts above. D2R2-R2D2. Is that some kind of inside joke? Remember that in Close Encounters there is a glimpse of R2D2 on the mothership.

9. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Robert,
    If you call Universal studios they will exchange your DTS version for the corrected one. You just need to tell them that you have the defective LFE DTS version and want to exchange it for the corrected version. You will get a recording when you first call but they will call you back within 24 hrs. I got mine back in 10 days after i mailed it to them. The number to call is: 1-972-293-5903. They were taking up to 6 weeks or more when they first started the exchange but now the turnaround is pretty quick. You will not regret getting the corrected DTS version. It is amazing.

10. Luis Cruz

Luis Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Hey the other day I wanted to watch JP but remembered that I still had the original pressing with the D2R1 settings and since I didn't want to wait 10 years for Universal to ship me a replacement, what I did was I went to Best Buy, where my sis had gotten it for me as a gift last year, and told them I recently got this as a gift and that the sound is defected and I want to exchange it for the same title...well the girl just said ok...and I went and got the same title and the girl exchanged it. Amazing huh? It's the new corrected soundtrack and all, but the packaging did look similiar from what I could see. Also, I didn't have to go through the trouble of waiting a great deal of time for Universal to send me the replacement via the cheapest mail service ever...hehe. So all of you who have not sent for a replacement disc, just go to Best buy and make sure they have the dts copy and then do what I did and exchange it...it works trust me. [​IMG]

11. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>since I didn't want to wait 10 years for Universal to ship me a replacement

12. Luis Cruz

Luis Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm glad Universal shipped your disc within 10 days. But, since everyone was talking about that they were waiting something like 2 months to get their replacement disc, I said the heck with that, I'm going to Best Buy to see if they will exchange it. They did and I'm a happy camper...and still all I had to wait was 5 minutes instead of 10 days...[​IMG] But, still, 10 days isn't bad, and is way better than 2 months. But at least we have the corrected copy which should be awesome, as I haven't checked it out yet. :b

13. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

can anyone please scan their back cover with the red grid so I can email it to my supplier & show them what to look for? My email is j-gray@dtn.ntl.com
    thanks is advance

14. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

15. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I remember Universals press release regarding the new pressing of the dts JP they did indeed say that the new pressing would have a red technical gird to differentiate it from the old. Remember however, that universal planned to quietly replace the old pressing with the new one. This way, they could avoid having to do an exchange. Also know that the new pressing was out well before universals press release. I bought my new pressing about 2 months before universals press release. My copy was purchased at best buy, has a black technical grid, and is 100% identitcal in packaging to the old pressing. The only way to tell them apart is the D2R1/D2R2 thing. My theory is this,

Part 1:Universal quietly started to replace the old pressing with the new and made them identical so that no one would know about it, thus preventing them from having to do an exchange for the original version.

Part 2: This forum and other DVD websites find out about the new version and spread that information.

Part 3: Universal knows they are busted, release a press report putting a "best face" on their trickery, and give a us a way to tell the old from new pressing, the red technical grid. So, we most likely have new versions out there with both black grids(pre universal busted)and red grids (post universal busted).

16. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

Dalton, and others:

Thanks for all the info on this corrected version of JP. I will trying calling that phone number mentioned.

I kept meaning to search and then wade through all the previous threads on this topic, but I think I have all the info I need now. Thanks!

17. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Your welcome Ernest[​IMG]

18. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Ernst:

I've reposted the Universal information and mail in address in HTF 3 times in the last 30 days, if you do a search on user name Steve_Ch, you should be able to find all you need easily.

Greg_t:

I have no doubt that Universal put in the exchange program because of user uproar, I am also convinced that when they put out the press release, they were nowhere near ready to tackle the problem and hence the long (up to 2 month plus??) lead time for people that took their offer up early. I also give them credit for eventaully ironed things out, as since mid to late October, the turn around is less than 10 working days (and that's including their UPS ground, which generally takes 4-5 days).

19. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

I just went to my local Best Buy store here in Atlanta, GA where they just received a new shipment of DVDs lastnight. Indeed the new Jurassic Park DTS DVD version DOES have the RED Information Grid on the back of the DVD case. It's unfortunate that it took this long (over a year) for Universal to finally make the packaging distinguishable for those who want the corrected version.

20. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

thanks, steve... i will check it out!