Jurassic Park 3 w/ RP56 and AVR1602 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael TT, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Michael TT

Michael TT Auditioning

With this setup, I have no sound when playing JP3 Dolby Digital but it works fine with DTS. I can't figure out if the problem is with the RP56, AVR1602, or the optical (instead of COAX) digital connection between the two. The AVR1602 does detect the DD signal since it displays it when the JP3 DD option was chosen. JP3 is the first DVD I am having problem with. I have a strong feeling the problem is with the digital connection but unfortunately the RP56 does not have a COAX output for me to test. Does anyone have a setup like this or similar (RP56 or AVR1602) that they can test both the optical and coax connection for any differences?

2. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I have the RP56 connected to a Sony DB930. I put JP3 in and selected DD, and no problems. Played fine. Could it be a setting on your receiver? With the Sony, I have the digital connection set to "Auto", and the Sony picks what type of connection you are using. If you are getting sound with DTS, but not DD, chances are it's not the disk being defective, and the player seems fine.

Matt

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    do other DD/DTS movies work fine on the player? if so, re-check all your receiver's settings. that's likely the problem.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Optical or coax should make no difference.

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Anyone notice that all the Blockbuster rentals for JP3 are full screen? [​IMG]

6. Michael TT

Michael TT Auditioning

Matt,

Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but just out of curiosity, could you please tell me if you are using the coax or optical connection from the RP56 to the Sony?

All my other DD DVDs works fine in DD.

7. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

The RP56 only has optical outout.

Matt

8. Michael TT

Michael TT Auditioning

Matt,

I didn't have my usual triple espresso this morning. What was I thinking??

9. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how similar Denon receivers are but on my 2802 there are three input modes: auto, dts, and pcm. Make sure you have it set to auto or you won't get DD.

10. John Garcia

John
    Just got finished watching JP3. Not bad. Worth the sound. I can see why that other person bottomed out the SVS... very good sound on this DVD...and DTS on ONE disc [​IMG]
    P.S. - since it has DTS on this one, what's the problem? [​IMG]

11. Michael TT

Michael TT Auditioning

John,

You're right. After reading the RP56 owner manual again on the PCM Down Conversion section, I realize that there was output differences between the digital and analog connection and not between optical and coax connection depending on the setting of PCM Downconversion option. I think I am going to rent JP3 again at a different place this time. I don't think it's the receiver since I've done everything that everyone involve in this thread have suggested.

12. John Garcia

John
    I had a very similar problem with my DVD and the downmix settings also. I don't have an RP56, but digital settings are similar for most players.
    I thought there was another response that said that since you were getting DTS, you should be getting DD also, but there is a setting for DD downmix that needs to be set to DD not PCM - but you should still get sound, just not the right sound. You also said this was the only disc that gave you NO sound, and that one has me stumped.
    Good luck.