What's new

Jurassic Park 3 DVD and the awesome DTS track (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Will that bonus disc contain some of the extra scenes that were included in the The Lost World televison SE? Because apparently, when it premiered on tv there were extra scenes that were not included on the DVD extras. I need to get those scenes!!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Gees, C'mon people. I read what Brad posted and he in no way dissed Dolby. While Obi is technically correct, I find it more than a little ridiculous that everything has to be qualified. The guy listened to the DTS track and he thought it was awesome, is that a crime against home theater lovers? Does everything have to be a comparative review?
Agreed, on the other hand, the cables I switched to made everything sound and look that much more awesome.
:laugh:
On my Onkyo 989, the maximum LFE setting for DTS is 0dB(as is the case for DD). The DTS track does sound very good and I haven't listened to the DD track yet. I have noticed on some DVDs that the DD track has more bass but it seems to blend less well with the rest of the channels.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I would have liked JP3 more if it was the T-rex chasing them around again
I would have liked to have seen the T-Rex more also, but then JP3 would have been JP1 or JP2. I needed something different. I enjoyed the Spino change, but they also could have used s'more dinosaur fights between other dinosaurs as well. For instance, The Spino Vs. The Sauropods, T-Rex Vs. the Triceratops (just to see a well-done "classic" battle), T-Rex Vs. me (although I think I'd lose).

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
The spinos roar was weak?....interesting..that roar that he does after eating the pilot,when he looks up at the plane again shhok some pictures off the wall in the other room!..

Just out of curiosity..i noticed some of you had your LFE set to the puls levels...mine is only zero and -numbers..its a yamaha dolby digital reciever..i actually had to lower it because when i listened to it the first time,my speakers made a "popping" noise..first time thats happened..are all recievers supposed to go in the plus levels for LFE? or is this only if you have a subwoofer (which i dont have yet)?

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I'm far from a Dino expert, but I recently watched a show on TLC or some such channel where the "expert" said that he thought the T-Rex was a slow runner that probably had a hard time getting up if knocked down. He considers the current idea of the T-Rex being a top predator as a falacy.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting sick of the darned studios only releasing the trailers in DD 5.1.

I mean, come on! Just as running that 5.1 track through the DTS codec results in our brilliant movie soundtracks, shouldn't we start demanding that the trailers be in DTS as well? Myself and many others enjoy watching the trailers of films, so I think it is time we start to pressure the studios for DTS sound!

BTW. What does it mean when measurements are made of the sound levels of a DD vs DTS soundtrack which does not reveal any difference. Does that mean that the particular soundtrack for some reason does not benefit from the wonders of DTS? Or is it simply that when a difference is present, that different masters were utilized?

Kevin

PS How in the world has Dean been a member since 1/1/1970?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Kevin, The "secret" trailer of E.T. The Extra Terrestrial on How the Grinch Stole Christmas is in DTS, but you are right, typically no trailers are in DTS.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Wow great soundtrack. I didn't realize that JP3 was DTS-ES. This was the first movie that really put my rear center speaker to work. Some of the dinosaur roars came just from that at one point. Talk about really feeling 'immersed' in a movie.

And no I didn't listen to the DD track. My receiver is only DTS ES capable, not DD EX so in my case I probably never will listen to the DD track.

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Brad, I got a chance to take a peek at the bonus disc on Thursday and I have to say that alot of the material was never before seen. There were some shots of the movie never seen and some interviews with Spielberg. I will be getting it.
I sent away for the bonus disc and the box. The reason I want to get it is because I am JP fan and I really like the bonus disc. I did not get that much time to look at it, I only got to look at Jurassic Park’s extra footage not the other two. In the menus you can pick which JP you want to look at for extra footage.
If I were you, I would get the bonus disc and the box from universal in Texas for $6.95 by check or money order. If you have the two Jurassic Park discs from before you will have a place to put them, in the box. Which will look nice on the shelf and an eye catcher! You have to remember to cut the proof of purchase off of the Jurassic Park 3 disc in the book it comes with.
I think it was a great idea to sell the bonus disc and the box separately for people that already have the two Jurassic park's and not have to buy the box set in order to get the box and the bonus disc.
When I get it I will post more about it, that is if someone else doesn't before me :)
Overall it is a very nice set

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Well, I wanted to compare the DD track to the DTS track but can't because there are regular dropouts(3-4 times per minute)on the DD track. Interestingly, there are no dropouts on the French DD track or the DTS track. I wonder if I have a defective disc or a player incompatibility?

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang!
Just finished watching JP3 and enjoyed it. Sound and picture were fine. My one question is about the surrounds. They did not seem that active in this show. Perhaps I have got my system not setup right since I moved a few weeks back, but for a DTS-ES Matrix movie, the surrounds did not seem to be employed much.
Please enlighten me on this! :)

KyleK

Second Unit
Hey guys,

Let me get this straight. There are 3 offers in the JP3 case, correct?

1. Free DVD, send in form and $2.95.

2. Free DVD about the JP series, send in form and $6.95

3. Trilogy box for the people who already bought JP and TLW:JP, does this come with the extras DVD?

If I am incorrect, please let me know.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Actually it's two offers. The first is the free dvd for 2.25 . The second offer is the JP bonus disc, which includes the trilogy box, for 6.95.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Has anyone sent in and/or recieved their "bonus disc" yet? I have yet to even buy JP3 (lack o' money) and want to check out the JP trilogy box set in hopes that they may be DTS. Of course I doubt they are. I wanted my Deluxe Editions to be in DTS, but they weren't.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I doubt if anyone has received their free bonus disk and case yet. It takes 6-8 weeks (about the same amount of time Universal took to send my replacement Jurassic Park dts DVD). I sent mine in about 1.5 weeks ago.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching this (first movie since my TV was ISF'd) and it looks excellent. The shades, shadows, and greenish-bluish colors look great. The soundtrack is outstanding, as well. Overall, a much better movie than Lost World, but I think Jurassic Park I was the best of the three.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
It's a tough movie because alot of it is so dark, but it looked good.
What do you mean by, "tough movie?"

Also, I think the movie had a lot of clarity and bright colors/scenes in it... I would not call it dark; that's my opinion and you are entitled to yours. But, I am interested in hearing why you thought JP3 was tough and dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks