What's new

Jurassic Park 3 DVD and the awesome DTS track (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
This movie was great and the special effects and hard work put into it and the behind the scenes was great, However I am not a big fan of the director of this film and the man Don davis who did the music, or the screen writer. I am not putting them down it is just that I would have rather seen Spielberg do it.

The appearance of the dvd was great. Last night I went to costos, (its like a price club) and I wanted the JP3 disc only to find they only had the full screen version (those bastards) so I quickly rolled over to target and got the correct version because there is not a bb nearby.

So I went home and looked at the menus. Great job on the behind the scenes footage, I watched the entire thing of the Behind the scenes because hey, maybe I'll become a filmmaker someday. I heard the trilogy has a forth disc that has even more bonus features.

After that I went straight to the battle of the dinos.

It was sad to see the T-rex die like that but I highly doubt it because the rex has a very very strong neck, head and jaw.

I did not watch the movie because I have seen it twice in the theater and three times on VCD.:p)

I am a big fan of Jurassic park, I really like the past JPs, but this one was to short and rushed

I can't wait for Jurassic park 4.

The sound was great even the trailers were in 5.1

later

Jonathon

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Ok, sidestepping the DTS/DD war.... what's the scoop on the bonus disc in the box set? Is it worth mailing away for? Does the content include all 3 movies?

-Dave

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Here's a shocker - the bass is deeper on DD vs. DTS on my DVD! Here's the deal- I watched the trailers, etc., and the first minute of the movie in DD. I then decided to start it over in DTS. As the film started and the Universal logo shimmered from a Dino step, the low rumble was simply anemic compared to the DD track. I went back and listened to the DD track and the strong low bass returned. Now, the last time I checked, my Denon AVR3300's LFE defaults for DD and DTS were set correctly, but I re-checked them. DD was set to 0, and DTS was set to -10. Now, the manual doesn't seem clear. On one page it says DD should be 0 and that DTS should be -10 for DTS music and 0 for DTS movies. On another page it says DD is 0 and DTS is simply -10. I recall bringing this up a year or so ago and the consensus was that the -10 setting was correct for DTS music and movies. Which is correct?
thanks
Jim
PS- I bought the DVD because I really enjoyed this movie at the theater. I had to practically beg my wife to watch it since she really didn't like the first movie. She thoroughly enjoyed part III :)

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'm not positive on this, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the LFE for DTS was supposed to be 10db above dolby digital. I thought that DD should be a 0 as the dd decoder automatically adds in the necessary 10db for LFE. For dts, you must pad the LFE by 10db in order to compensate. Again, if I'm mistaken, please correct me. On my setup, the lfe in dd is more boomy and in dts it is deeper and more defined. Overall, I much prefer the dts. To my ears, it just sounds fuller. The dolby just doesn't seem as sharp or have as much impact.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yes Greg, that's what I believe too. On my reciever, I have DD at 0db, and DTS at +10db. This puts them both in the same range of bass when I do A-B comparisons.

No wonder Jim's DTS track sounds lackluster. He may have it set 20db too low!

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
OK, well, I didn't catch this in the theaters, but I tried to buy it tonight at Costco.

Maybe there's another thread on this, but what the hell is with all of the full screen releases?! This is another f'ing MUMMY RETURNS fiasco. Costco had crates of full screen versions but not a widescreen in sight. Whadda ya wanna bet I have a hard time finding the widescreen version, just like with Mummy Returns?

What's with these damn studios? Someone needs to smack them upside the head and talk some sense into them.

Oh, however, I did have some fun while fuming over the JP3 discs at Costco. Another customer came along and put one in his cart. I said, "You know that's not widescreen?" He looked at me, looked back at his cart, and said, "Woah. Crap. Thank you!" He then took it from his cart and put it back on the shelf, and then said: "You know, the first time I watched widescreen, I thought it was garbage. But now that's all I buy."

He was just a regular Joe Six Pack movie buyer.

There might be a light at the end of the tunnel afterall...

David Judah

Screenwriter
Jim,

If you are concerned that your LFE adjustments for DD & DTS are out of whack, do a comparison with one of Warner's dual releases like Twister or Lethal Weapon 1-3.

They are supposed to be the closest thing we have to an equal channel level comparison(no dialnorm compensation needed). If the DTS is also anemic with one of those, then you need to boost your DTS LFE up a bit.

I know with my Yamaha, I had to boost my DTS LFE +7 to equal DD LFE @ zero. They were on different scales (DD LFE -20 to 0 & DTS LFE -10 to +10).

DJ

William Ward

Supporting Actor
You might also want to check with an SPL meter some dialogue of regular music scenes from it to see that they are being played back at the same sound level. I've found some times that the DD track will actually have a louder playback level than the DTS. The Rock Criterion is one such example.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
On all Denon receivers the LFE pad should be at "0"Db for both DD and DTS.

The manual says so,as well,however I don't change it to -10db for DTS music,because the bass would be too thin,so I stick to the 0db all around.I also took measurments,so I know I'm right.;)

As for the JPIII soundtrack:It was clear step up from the previous ones,especially the dialog and LFE tracks.The surrounds seemed more active in the prequells[I have the DTS versions with the second pressing for the first movie],however the roar of the Spinosaurus sounded weak compared to the T-Rex from the first film.

Also this was a much better film then "Lost World" IMO.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'd like to add, that I have a Denon 3801 and my DTS setting is at +10db's. And all my dts DVD's, such as Rush Hour 2, JP3, Fifth Element sound SO much better with the +10db setting, rather then the 0db's.

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Any suggestions for the sub setting on a Harman Kardon AVR-310. My bass also seems softer on dts than dd but, the manual just tells you how to change the settings but, no recommendations are given.

Thanks,

Ian B.

CraigR

Agent
I would have to agree with Lewis's comments on JPIII being better than Lost World and that the spinosaurus roar was weaker than T-rex. I did not see JPIII in the theater and after watching the DVD I wish I had. This was very enjoyable watching on my home system.

Gruson

Second Unit
On another note, I really hate the Spino. He just looks goofy and the mechanical effects looked very rushed and very cheap.
I know they used him to give the series something fresh but I would have liked JP3 more if it was the T-rex chasing them around again :)
The T-rex yell is just awesome.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Wow! After reading this thread, it appears to me that Brad got jumped all over for no reason. Just because he thought the DTS soundtrack sounded great and didn't listen to the Dolby track.
I think it was kind of wrong to do that. I could see if he bashed the Dolby track without listening to it, but he didn't. I think people need to ease up a bit. Dolby makes great sounding 5.1 tracks and so does DTS, if a person thinks a DTS track sounds awesome but doesn't listen to the Dolby track, there should be no problem with it. It is his thread and his opinion. That is my worthless two cents.
BTW, I have to wait until Christmas to watch this DVD. :frowning:
I really enjoyed the film a lot in the theater and I can't wait to see it again. Oh, and I will be watching it in DTS. ;)
-Dean-

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
The answer to David F's question is that the bonus disc contains extra footage never before seen on any of the Jurassic park discs. It is from all of the Jurassic park movies the first ,second and third.

I do have a question though.

What do you have to do to send away for the bonus disc?

I will be getting it for sure.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Jonathon,

You have to buy JP3. there is a form in it that you have to fill out and send in. It has the directions and the address to send it to on it. It has to be the original form, they won't take photocopies, so you have to buy JP3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks