What's new

Jurassic Park 3 DVD and the awesome DTS track (1 Viewer)

Brian_J

Second Unit
The funny thing about the raptors portrayed in the Jurassic Park Trilogy is that their size is completely wrong. When I spoke to Palentology legend, Dr. Robert Bakker, he said that he adivsed Speilberg that they only came up to your waist and/or knee
That's interesting because in the books I have they are listed as having a height of from 5-6 feet.

Brian

Mike Meeks

Auditioning
I've been away for awhile but it's threads like this that keep bringing me back. Lots of info.

Thanks guys!

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I find it more than a little ridiculous that everything has to be qualified. The guy listened to the DTS track and he thought it was awesome, is that a crime against home theater lovers? Does everything have to be a comparative review?
Thank you Dan. My thoughts exactly!

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
It is more accurate to say the 5.1 soundtrack on Jurassic Park 3 is awesome.
but surely that implies that all the 5.1 soundtracks on the disc are 'awesome', which he couldn't state without listening to them all.

I disagree that calling something awesome implies superiority over something else. That sounds like someone being defensive.

And I don't have a DTS DVD player, so no favouritism here.

RicP

Screenwriter
Pet Peeve -
"Awesome DTS soundtrack"
Probably never listened to the Dolby Digital track.
I don't want to start anything Chris but can you answer me one thing?
How would the performance of the DD track on this DVD in any way affect the "awesomeness" of the DTS track?
In other words, even if the DD track is indeed wonderful, does that in some way make the DTS track "not awesome" any longer?
I don't recall him saying that the DTS track was awesome and the DD one wasn't. Just that the DTS track was "awesome".
Is he not allowed to offer that opinion now unless he has satisfactorily auditioned both soundtracks to determine which one if any is more deserving of the accolade "awesome"?
Just saw your post DanR...I agree completely. :)

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
OK, I backed out of the thread. It was not my intention to hijack it. But if everyone keeps pounding...here goes.

The CODEC has little to do with the awesome factor.

It has everything to do with the mix.

So it is a pet peeve of mine because it seems every DTSer out there feels the need to mention the awesome DTS track when in fact DTS has really very little to do with it.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH QUALIFYING ANYTHING!

It has to do with making statemtents correctly. Funny how I would be corrected a million times on other topics by our membership if stated incorrectly. (and I have been)

Enjoy your discs.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
My wife is awesome!
What if you were a bigamist and said "My third was is awesome!"? It does (to me) imply that the third wife is better than the others :)
I can GUARANTEE you that if this thread was called "JP3 DD audio is awesome!", the DTS zealots would be chiming in with "Yeah, but the DTS is also awesome!", or "If you think the DD is awesome, wait till you hear the DTS".
But all this begs the bigger question, why are we even recognizing "awesome" new DVD soundtracks? Doesn't it go without saying that from now on, "awesome" soundtracks from "action" films such as JP3 will be the norm?
Does anyone doubt that when "Behind Enemy Lines" (or any other current "action" movie) is released on DVD it will also have an "awesome" soundtrack?
From now on maybe the administrator could go ahead and start a thread called "The official - XXXXXX has an awesome soundtrack! - thread" on the release date of every new "action" movie :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
height of from 5-6 feet.
Brian_J,

Actually, that is how long they were.

Velociraptor may have been able to run up to roughly 40 mph (60 km/hr) for short bursts. Velociraptor was about 5 to 6 feet long (1.5-2 m), and 3 feet tall (1 m). It may have weighed about 15 to 33 pounds (7 to 15 kg). It had a stiff tail that worked as a counterbalance and let it make very quick turns.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Say what you will, but I think Jurassic Park 3 was a welcome breath of fresh air. It didn't try to be serious or pretentious. It did what it was designed to do...thrill you and then when it was over, you take a few deep breaths, and leave the theater...

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Nate, I agree with you on that one. One of my top three fave scenes is: the Pteradon appearing out of the fog/mist.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Brad-

I loved that too...it freaked me out, especially in the theatre. The whole movie was just one thing after another to the point where you actually feel physically exhausted.

-Nate

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I must say for someone who is a Administrator like Obi he should no better than to get on someone because in there opinion they like a dts track. C'mon obi everytime i see someone praise dts you gotta put them down. I know your a bigger supporter of DD but others are entitled to their opinions too. Instead of telling someone what they should say for example you saying he should of said the 5.1 is awesome why not just state your opinion that you prefer the dd and leave it at that.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
The funny thing about the raptors portrayed in the Jurassic Park Trilogy is that their size is completely wrong. When I spoke to Palentology legend, Dr. Robert Bakker, he said that he adivsed Speilberg that they only came up to your waist and/or knee, but Speilberg didn't like that and "enlarged" them for scare purposes. Artistic liscense?
Actually after the first JP was filmed, fossils indicating a raptor similar in size to the Velociraptors in the movie were found. I believe they are called Utah Raptors as seen in the Discovery channel documentary Walking with Dinosaurs .

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Utah Raptors
That may be true, but velociraptors were used in the movie and that is what R.T. Bakker was referring to. It doesn't even mean, "bird of prey" like they said in the film, but rather "speedy thief" or something to that effect.
Regardless of it's "advised-against" palentological flaws, I still love the series and books.
I would like to check out the Walking with Dinosaurs series. I only own the When Dinosaurs Ruled series. Christmas gift anyone! :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Since there seem to be plenty of paleo-nuts here, this seems to be as good a place as any to ask:
What books best reflect the current thinking/research on dinosaurs? I was looking at the Don Glut giant encyclopedia put out by McFarland but didn't know how well that had been updated. Years ago I was deeply into dinosaurs but I've completely lost track of what's going on in the field over the last two decades.
Thanks guys! :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Mark,
The absolute best book on Palentology is:
The Dinosaur Heresies by Robert T. Bakker, Ph.D.
Bakker and his book completely break the orthodox barrier regarding dinosaurs as cold-blooded, evolution of dinosaurs to birds, the extinction of dinosaurs, etc. He is, in my opinion, the best palentologist out there (with Jack Horner coming in at a close second). His theories are proven time and again throughout his book. Disregard the fact that it came out in 1986 because no one has disproved his theories since.
I've read the book twice in its entirity and sited it countless times for reports during high school and college. If you want to read an interesting book that will make you think and shed light on old ideas about dinos.
Oh yeah, I've met him before, had him autograph my hardcover edition and haven been to one of his lectures.
Click HERE to see a picture of him after he signed my copy.
Thanks for your interest because I cannot express enough how much someone interested in palentology should read his book.

Robert George

Screenwriter
I must say for someone who is a Administrator like Obi he should no better than to get on someone because in there opinion they like a dts track.
Home Theater Forum
Just thought I'd remind some of you where you are. A forum is a venue for expressing ideas, information, and opinions. It is a place for give and take. As we always say here, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, this is an open forum so if you want to hang your opinion out there in public, you have to be prepared to be called on it if someone disagrees with you. I have just as much right to question other people's opinions as they do mine. My position on the forum has nothing to do with it.
If one is not prepared to justify their position on an issue or willing to engage in a debate with others that may hold a differing view, then an open forum is the wrong venue for expressing it in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks